What Career Paths are Available After Completing a Physics PhD?

In summary, Dr. Transport found that leaving academia was not difficult, but did regret not keeping in touch with his research network. He found a successful career in aerospace engineering.
gator02
I have recently completed a PhD in experimental condensed matter physics and I am not interested in staying in academia. I would like to hear from people who have already left academia. Specifically, I would like to hear what employment people were able to find and what difficulties they encountered entering their new career field. I know about certain alternative career paths taken my physics Ph.D.s such as software engineering and wall street but I would like to hear of others.

Physics news on Phys.org
Industry is a fine career choice. Your skills as an experimentalist would be valued, but don't expect to do work paralleling your these work.

I found no impediments to leaving academia, my supervisors always use me as a sounding board for their ideas.

Dr. Transport, industry is a vague term. Can you tell me what industry you have experience in?

gator02 said:
Specifically, I would like to hear what employment people were able to find and what difficulties they encountered entering their new career field. I know about certain alternative career paths taken my physics Ph.D.s such as software engineering and wall street but I would like to hear of others.

I ended up in finance after a few years in oil/gas. One thing that I had to do was to "unbrainwash" myself, and convince myself that was I was doing was "normal."

Also, one of the things that I regret was that I didn't keep up my research networks. Because I was really ashamed/angry of not going the academic route, I shut down communications with my research network for a few years. By the time I convinced myself that I had nothing to be ashamed/angry about, a lot of my research networks had gone cold.

Part of the problem that I'm working on is figuring out how physics Ph.D'.s that end up in industry can do some reasonable academic research.

Part of quote from twofish-quant:
Part of the problem that I'm working on is figuring out how physics Ph.D'.s that end up in industry can do some reasonable academic research.

Hopefully, you will learn what the solution of this problem is, since the solution may be generalizable to other people with degrees in some sciences who went into industry but want to return, either to "industry" or to something else. When one leaves one broad field, ports back to it close. The longer one stays out, the more of those ports are closed.

gator02 said:
Dr. Transport, industry is a vague term. Can you tell me what industry you have experience in?

Aerospace

FAQ: What Career Paths are Available After Completing a Physics PhD?

1. What types of jobs can I get with a physics PhD?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for individuals with a physics PhD. Some common career paths include research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the college level, working in government or national labs, and roles in the private sector such as data analysis, consulting, or technology development.

2. Is it common to pursue a career outside of traditional physics research with a PhD?

Yes, it is becoming more common for individuals with a physics PhD to pursue careers outside of traditional research. The skills and knowledge gained during a PhD program, such as critical thinking, problem solving, and data analysis, are highly valued in a variety of industries and can lead to successful careers in fields such as finance, engineering, and data science.

3. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to pursue a physics PhD?

While many individuals who pursue a physics PhD have an undergraduate degree in physics or a related field, it is not a requirement. Some PhD programs may have specific prerequisites, but individuals with a background in math, engineering, or other sciences can also be successful in a physics PhD program.

4. What skills are important for success in a physics PhD program?

Some important skills for success in a physics PhD program include strong mathematical abilities, critical thinking and problem solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Communication skills, both written and oral, are also important for presenting research findings and collaborating with others.

5. Are there opportunities for international careers with a physics PhD?

Yes, there are opportunities for international careers with a physics PhD. Many research institutions, universities, and companies have international collaborations and partnerships, and there are also opportunities for postdoctoral positions or jobs in other countries. It is important to research and network to find international opportunities that align with your career goals.