Does this idea sound plausible

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses a group project for students in their 3rd year of an Electronic Engineering degree to create a remote control surveillance car with long range capabilities. The plan is to use a wifi connection on campus to control the car from a remote computer, with the main operations controlled by a PIC chip. The conversation also provides suggestions for interfacing the PIC chip with a wifi module and mentions potential challenges with authentication and regulations for broadcasting and receiving. The use of an Arduino with a wifi header is also suggested.
madmike159
Gold Member
I am about to go into my 3rd year of my Electronic Engineering degree, and as part of that I will be taking part in a group project.

Out project involves making a remote control surveillance car with cameras, sensors etc. We also want it to be long range (i.e. more than the 10m or so you get with off the shelf RC cars). To achieve this we are planning to connect the car to the wifi on campus, so it can be controlled from a remote computer. The main operations of the car will be controlled with a PIC. What I want to know is how hard it will be to interface a PIC chip with a wifi module and send/receive data. If anyone has any advice about how to do this or what to use for it it would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll probably be able to find a module that interfaces with WiFi, and connects to your microcontroller (or even an ARM or PC-104 stack) using some sort of serial (UART, I2C, SPI) or parallel connection. This will be just the raw output, so you'll have to have a TCP/IP stack running on said microcontroller / processor, in addition to whatever other authentication / program that interprets the commands and makes your car go.

If you're using PIC, Microchip has some literature / software:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2505&param=en535724

The Gumstix wifi module (ARM-based) or an Arduino wifi-shield modules probably push you along the design curve a little faster, depending on how much other software is out there. This probably includes authentication (WPA, WPA2, etc.) that you may need to get onto your school's wifi network (if your school is anything like mine).

So, if you want to do everything ground up: you may be hard-pressed (depending on how much prior experience you and your team mates have). If you're more hardware-based, I'd go with a simpler host-slave communications scheme (e.g. an RF UART modem or bluetooth or IR pair). If you're more software-based, I'd go with a pre-built microcontroller module with a very good level of software support for the low-level TCP/IP functionality.

DISCLAIMER: I have not actually built my own IP-device, but have advised a number of (basic) projects that have had varying levels of IP-functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggest you check through back issues of Elektor and other electroncis (mags). I'm pretty sure there was a design for a wifi interface for microcontrollers in the last couple of years.

Since you will need to broadcast as well as receive, you will need to check you local wireless regulations about this. Perhaps someone in your group already has a licence?

go well

Use an arduino with a wifi header?

I find this idea to be very plausible and exciting. Using wifi to control a remote surveillance car is a great application of technology and can have many practical uses. Interfacing a PIC chip with a wifi module may require some technical knowledge and skills, but it is definitely achievable. There are many resources available online that can guide you through the process and provide advice on which components to use. Additionally, reaching out to experts in the field or consulting with your professors can also be helpful in making this project a success. Overall, I believe that with proper planning and execution, your project can be a great success and contribute to the advancement of engineering and technology.

FAQ: Does this idea sound plausible

1. Is there any evidence to support this idea?

In order for an idea to be considered plausible, it should have some evidence or research to back it up. This can be in the form of studies, experiments, or observations that have been conducted and support the idea.

2. Has this idea been tested or proven?

Another important factor in determining the plausibility of an idea is whether it has been tested or proven. This means that the idea has been put into action or experiment and has yielded consistent results that support its validity.

3. Are there any potential flaws or limitations to this idea?

It's important to consider the potential flaws or limitations of an idea in order to fully assess its plausibility. This could include factors such as limited applicability, conflicting evidence, or ethical concerns.

4. How does this idea compare to existing theories or ideas?

In the scientific community, it's important to consider how a new idea or theory compares to existing ones. This can help determine its plausibility and potential contributions to the field.

5. What are the potential implications or consequences of this idea?

Before determining the plausibility of an idea, it's important to consider the potential implications or consequences that may arise from its implementation. This could include both positive and negative effects on society, the environment, or other areas.