How to attach clamp to metal bar?

• Thread starter tirelessphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
tirelessphoenix
TL;DR Summary
clamp attachment to metal bar
Hi, I am trying to find a way to attach the clamp to the metal bar seen in the picture so that they become a rigid unit. I am not sure what is best way to do it. Drilling somehow? screws where? if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. The metal bar in black seen in the picture is hollow...
thank you
TP

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, @tirelessphoenix ! :cool:

What is the meaning of the third picture?
How much wider is the bar than the jaw of the clip?
How long is the bar?
What do plan to use that tool for?

the meaning of the third picture is just to show that I want the clamp and the bar to become a fixed 'unit'.
parts lenghts shown in the new picture added.
I want to use it to attach things

the bar is 1 inch long
pic1b.jpg

tirelessphoenix said:
Drilling somehow? screws where? if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.
Assuming the metal bar is actually a square hollow tube.

Make a square section tapered, wood or plastic block. Hammer the wedge into the end of the tube, with glue in the gap.
Drill the clip with 2, 3 or 4 holes where it will contact the end of the tube. Mark that hole pattern on the end block, then drill undersize.
Attach clip to block with screws that slightly expand the internal wedge, locking it in place.

Likes hutchphd
If welding is out of the question, you could make a metal block that will fit within the square tube. Two holes drilled in the lower side of the clamp and two larger access holes in the upper part of the clamp. Use two rounded head screws to hold the clamp to the block and other screws or bolts & nuts to hold the block within the tube through holes you previously drilled.

Likes hutchphd
tirelessphoenix said:
the meaning of the third picture is just to show that I want the clamp and the bar to become a fixed 'unit'.
What tools and materials do you have available?

I actually came up with what Jack action just described. I have drill press, but not that powerful. But I think enough to drill through the metal bar. I didn't think about the welding option...mmm... Im a complete noob about welding...I think I'll try first the drilling. Glue cannot be used.... thank you a lot guys!

Likes Lnewqban
tirelessphoenix said:
Glue cannot be used
Why not?

Does this need to carry significant current and/or load ?? (*)
If not, and tube is a 'standard' size / shape as used for office etc furniture, consider a press-in plug with threaded insert for M6~M8~M10 adjustable foot.

Such may be handy for rapidly positioning / re-positioning other end of pipe, too.

Hole on both jaws, upper hole allows easy torqueing of matching CSK or pan-head machine-screw through lower. If you need low-current / anti-static continuity, a strand of eg 3-Amp wire from under screw-head to between plug and tube should suffice, provided any coating is scraped away...

*) Gotta ask, as welding connections are in a different league...

tirelessphoenix said:
I actually came up with what Jack action just described. I have drill press, but not that powerful. But I think enough to drill through the metal bar. I didn't think about the welding option...mmm... Im a complete noob about welding...I think I'll try first the drilling. Glue cannot be used.... thank you a lot guys!
Welding of those thin galvanized pieces would be very difficult for any unexperienced person.

If available to you, I would recommend one 1/8-inch all-thread bar, one fender washer and two nuts (only one hole to be drilled on the clamp).

If you can grind the shape of the bottom jaw onto the top of the metal bar, any rotation of the clamp would be restrained.
If no grinding capability, two sheet metal screws into the clamp and against opposite corners of the bar could achieve the same effect.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-x-12-in-Zinc-Key-Stock-800307/204325580

https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-16-in-18-tpi-x-36-in-Zinc-Plated-Threaded-Rod-802227/204274012

Clamp.jpg

Last edited: