How do you find the magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the magnetic field strength inside a solenoid using a current balance and given values for mass, current, and length. The attempted solution involves equating the force of the mass to the force of the magnetic field, but the final answer is incorrect due to a unit conversion error. After discussing possible solutions and double-checking the calculations, the correct answer is determined to be 9.1 x 10^-3 T.
oxjenpenaxo

Homework Statement

A 61 mg mass just balances the balance arm of a current balance when the strip current is 3.0 A. If the strip is 2.2 cm long, what is the magnetic field strength inside the solenoid in which the current balance is located?

Homework Equations

F = BIl (Magnetic Field x Current x Length)
F = mg (Mass x Gravity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that the weight of the mass is equal to the force of the magnetic field so I made the forces equal to each other.

BIl = mg

and solved for B

B = mg/Il
= 9.06 T

but it turns out the answer is wrong...
Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
At a glance it looks as though you've simply forgotten to convert the units to SI units.

Well I got what you got using g=9.81ms[itex]^{-2}[/itex]. Could it be that you have to use a different value for g? (Or my calculator's battery is dying...)

EDIT: What is the correct answer btw?

Last edited:
It says that the correct answer is 9.1 x 10^-3 T

Oh... I had another problem like this and I was also off by like some 10^-3
but I got the 9.1 part right... ehe...

Last edited:
Like I said before its a units thing. I get the correct answer.

yeah haha alrighty thanks

1. How do you measure the magnetic field?

To measure the magnetic field, you can use a device called a magnetometer. This instrument uses a magnetized needle or a digital sensor to detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Another method is to use a compass, which aligns with the Earth's magnetic field to determine its direction.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is called the Tesla (T). It is equivalent to one Newton per Ampere-meter (N/A-m) and is named after the famous scientist Nikola Tesla.

3. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect us?

The Earth's magnetic field helps protect us from harmful solar radiation and cosmic rays. It also plays a role in animal navigation and migration. Some scientists also believe that it may have an influence on our sleep patterns and mental health.

4. How do you find the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined by using a compass. The North pole of the compass aligns with the Earth's magnetic North pole, which is located near the geographic South pole. This means that the direction of the magnetic field is opposite to the direction of the needle on the compass.

5. Can you create your own magnetic field?

Yes, it is possible to create your own magnetic field. This can be done by using an electric current flowing through a wire. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can be controlled by changing the amount and direction of the electric current. This principle is used in many everyday devices, such as electric motors and generators.