How to obtain the rational function integration recursive formula

In summary, the conversation is about a recursive formula for solving integrals involving rational functions, as stated in Apostol's Calculus. The formula is obtained by integrating by parts, and the conversation ends with the request for ideas on how to demonstrate this.
mr_sparxx
I've been dealing with several integrals involving rational functions. I have encountered myself arriving to an integral that requires the application of the following recursive formula:

[itex] \int\frac{1}{(u^2+α^ 2)^m} \, du= \frac{u}{2 α^ 2 (m-1)(u^2+α^ 2)^{m-1}}+\frac{2m-3}{2 α^2 (m-1)}\int\frac{1}{(u^2+α^ 2)^{m-1}} \, du [/itex]

as stated in Apostol's Calculus.

However, I am curious about the demonstration of this formula. Apostol states in his book that it is obtained by integrating by parts, but I don't see how... does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Bibliography
Calculus, Volume 1, One-variable calculus, with an introduction to linear algebra, (1967) Wiley, ISBN 0-536-00005-0, ISBN 978-0-471-00005-1

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mr_sparxx! :smile:

put Im = ##\int\frac{1}{(u^2+α^2)^m} \, du##

then Im-1 = ##\int\frac{u^2+α^2}{(u^2+α^2)^m} \, du##

= ##\int\frac{u^2}{(u^2+α^2)^m} \, du## + α2Im

= (something)##\left[\frac{u}{(u^2+α^2)^{m-1}}\right]## + (something)Im-1 + α2Im

carry on from there :wink:

Likes 1 person
Awesome! :)
Thanks tiny-Tim (specially for leaving some of the fun for me) ;P

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be written as the ratio of two polynomials, where the denominator is not equal to zero. It can also be represented as a fraction with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation.

Why is a recursive formula useful for integrating rational functions?

A recursive formula is useful for integrating rational functions because it is a step-by-step process that breaks down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for easier and more efficient computation of the integral.

How is the recursive formula for rational function integration derived?

The recursive formula for rational function integration is derived by using the method of partial fractions decomposition. This involves breaking down the rational function into simpler fractions and then integrating each fraction separately.

Can the recursive formula be used for all rational functions?

Yes, the recursive formula can be used for all rational functions. However, it may not always be the most efficient method of integration. Other methods, such as substitution or integration by parts, may be more suitable for certain types of rational functions.