Unveiling the Formation of Black Holes: A Relativity Perspective

In summary, according to general relativity, if a remote observer monitors an object falling onto a black hole, (s)he will never see the moment when the object crosses the event horizon. Due to the time distortion, the falling object will hover over the event horizon forever. To expand on this slightly, when I say "you really do have a black hole" I'm referring to the gravitational effects that accrue by virtue of the fact that the matter, in its own reference frame, does fall past EH even though that cannot be "seen" by a remote observer. My understanding is that without sufficient, highly concentrated, mass you can't have an EH and once you have an EH, you have a black hole (
yprager
According to general relativity, if a remote observer monitors an object falling onto a black hole, (s)he will never see the moment when the object crosses the event horizon. Due to the time distortion, the falling object will hover over the event horizon forever.

With that in mind, how could the black hole have formed in the first place, in the frame of reference of the remote observer? Wouldn't it take an infinite amount of time for it to form?

Physics news on Phys.org
yprager said:
According to general relativity, if a remote observer monitors an object falling onto a black hole, (s)he will never see the moment when the object crosses the event horizon. Due to the time distortion, the falling object will hover over the event horizon forever.

With that in mind, how could the black hole have formed in the first place, in the frame of reference of the remote observer? Wouldn't it take an infinite amount of time for it to form?

Visually, yes, but remember, the stuff really DOES go in even though a remote observer doesn't see it, so the gravity of the black holes is that caused by the sum of the masses that went in and you really do have a black hole.

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
Visually, yes, but remember, the stuff really DOES go in even though a remote observer doesn't see it, so the gravity of the black holes is that caused by the sum of the masses that went in and you really do have a black hole.

To expand on this slightly, when I say "you really do have a black hole" I'm referring to the gravitational effects that accrue by virtue of the fact that the matter, in its own reference frame, does fall past EH even though that cannot be "seen" by a remote observer. My understanding is that without sufficient, highly concentrated, mass you can't have an EH and once you have an EH, you have a black hole (or maybe it's that once you have a BH, you have an EH ... they go together).

Phinds, thank you for the clarification, but it still doesn't sound particularly convincing to me. Had it taken infinite amount of time for a black hole to form in the remote observer frame of reference -- well, there would have been no black holes in her frame of reference. (Regardless of what happens in the frame of reference of the falling object.) The link provided by PeterDonis sounds more convincing, even though I must admit that I am not fully at ease even with that one.

Here is a spacetime diagram of a collapse to a black hole, which first appeared in Oppenheimer-Snyder model of star collapse, post #64

attachment.php?attachmentid=53085&d=1353254590.png

Here are some selective quotes from that post:

DrGreg said:
The pink grid shows the exterior Schwarzschild coordinates. The blue grid shows the interior Schwarzschild coordinates (that is, inside the event horizon, but still outside the collapsing matter). The purple dotted line is the event horizon. The thick blue line is the singularity.
DrGreg said:
The grey line from the bottom to the left is the border of the vacuum region, i.e. the outermost layer of the collapsing matter.
DrGreg said:
The pink curves are the worldlines of observers hovering at a constant distance from the centre of the collapsing matter, and the radial pink lines are lines of simultaneity for such observers as determined by the convention of Schwarzschild coordinates. For these observers, none of the events in the blue region occur "simultaneously" with an event on the observer's worldline, so you could say the event "never occurs" (within finite time) relative to that observer. But that is just an artefact of the coordinate system chosen. It's unreasonable to say those events "don't exist".

yprager said:
... Had it taken infinite amount of time for a black hole to form in the remote observer frame of reference -- well, there would have been no black holes in her frame of reference...

You miss the point. If the remote observer is dumb enough to fall for an optical illusion, then yes they would conclude that it doesn't exist, and of course it doesn't exist visually for them but if they understand physics, they would conclude, as DrGreg pointed out, that this is just a visual illusion based on their coordinate system and that while the illusion certainly is visually real for them, it does not reflect localized reality at the site of the black hole, just localized reality for them. Cosmology is confusing that way.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself, creating a singularity at its center with infinite density and almost infinite gravity.

2. How did black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star runs out of fuel and can no longer support its own weight. Without the outward pressure from nuclear fusion, the star's core collapses under its own gravity, forming a singularity. This process is known as a supernova.

3. When did black holes first appear?

The first black holes are believed to have formed in the early universe, shortly after the Big Bang. However, these were likely smaller, "primordial" black holes. The first observed black hole was discovered in 1971 and was formed from a star that exploded in a supernova.

4. How do we detect black holes?

Black holes cannot be directly observed because light cannot escape their gravitational pull. However, we can detect their presence through their effects on nearby matter. These effects include gravitational lensing, where the black hole's gravity bends light from other objects, and the emission of X-rays from gas and dust spiraling into the black hole.

5. Can black holes merge?

Yes, black holes can merge when two or more of them come close enough to each other. This can happen when two galaxies collide, or when a star in a binary system dies and becomes a black hole, joining its companion. The merging of black holes was first observed in 2015 by the LIGO experiment, which detected gravitational waves from the collision of two black holes.