What is the general solution to Cauchy-Euler's equation?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation 2rT'+r^2T''=0, where T(r) is a Cauchy-Euler's equation. The proposed solution of T(r)=r^k leads to two possible values for k, 0 and 1. This results in a general solution of T(r)=c_1/r+c_2, which is confirmed by Wolfram Alpha. However, it is also noted that T(r)=c_3 ln(r) or even T(r)=c_3 ln(r)+c_4 also satisfy the differential equation. The conversation then raises questions about the possibility and general method of finding such solutions, and whether the general solution would be of the form
fluidistic
Gold Member
I had to solve the DE:
[tex]2rT'+r^2T''=0[/tex] where [itex]T(r)[/itex]. I noticed it's a Cauchy-Euler's equation so I proposed a solution of the form [itex]T(r)=r^k[/itex]. This gave me k=0 or k=1.
Thus, I thought, the general solution to that homogeneous DE is under the form [itex]T(r)=\frac{c_1}{r}+c_2[/itex]. Wolfram alpha also agrees on this.
However I noticed that [itex]T(r)=c_3 \ln r[/itex] (or even [itex]c_3 \ln r + c_4[/itex]) also satisfies the DE!
I don't understand:
1)How is that possible?!
2)What is the general way to find such a solution?
3)Isn't the general solution then under the form [itex]T(r)=\frac{c_1}{r}+c_2+ c_3 \ln r[/itex]. I guess not, because some initial conditions would not be enough to solve for the 3 constants?
I don't understand what's going on. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I put ln(r) into that equation and come up with
[tex]\frac{2r}{r} -\frac{r^2}{r^2} = 1 \neq 0[/tex]

LeonhardEuler said:
I put ln(r) into that equation and come up with
[tex]\frac{2r}{r} -\frac{r^2}{r^2} = 1 \neq 0[/tex]

Whoops. :blushing:
Nevermind then... I made some algebra mistake.
Problem solved.

Related to What is the general solution to Cauchy-Euler's equation?

1. What is Cauchy-Euler's equation?

Cauchy-Euler's equation, also known as the Euler-Cauchy equation, is a type of linear differential equation that is used to model various physical phenomena in mathematics and physics. It has the form axny(n) + bx(n-1)y(n-1) + ... + cx = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable.

2. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Euler's equation?

Cauchy-Euler's equation is significant because it can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields, such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. It also has applications in areas such as signal processing and control theory.

3. How is Cauchy-Euler's equation different from other types of differential equations?

Cauchy-Euler's equation is unique because it involves both the dependent variable and its derivatives raised to different powers. This makes it more challenging to solve compared to other types of differential equations, and it requires a different approach and techniques.

4. What are the solutions to Cauchy-Euler's equation?

The solutions to Cauchy-Euler's equation depend on the values of the constants a, b, and c. If all three constants are real and distinct, the solutions can be expressed in terms of real and complex numbers. If the constants are equal, the solutions can be expressed in terms of polynomials. If one or more of the constants are zero, the equation simplifies to a lower-order differential equation.

5. How is Cauchy-Euler's equation used in applications?

Cauchy-Euler's equation is used in various applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, calculating the response of an electrical circuit to a specific input, and describing the behavior of fluids in pipes. It is also used in fields such as signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals.