Help with moving emitter/receiver cutoff speed

• Thread starter ktoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the problem involves two objects moving at the same speed along parallel paths on a plane and a signal being shot between them. The time it takes for the signal to go from one object to the other is one second. The question is at what speed, relative to the signal speed, would a signal from object "A" never arrive at object "B" if the objects were accelerated. The limiting speed is the signal speed, and at any object speed less than that, the signal can still reach object B.
ktoz
Hi

I'm working on a Mac application to visually illustrate the doppler effect and managed to confuse myself with the following problem. I'm sure it's an easy one but I've been looking at it too long and can't figure it out.

Here's it is:

Given two objects moving at the same speed along parallel paths on a plane, and a signal (say little marbles) being shot between them, where the time it takes for the signal to go from one object to the other is one second. If you accelerate the objects, at what speed, relative to the signal speed, would a signal from object "A" never arrive at object "B"?

I tried drawing a circle from the center of object "A" through the center of object "B" and see from that, that if the objects are moving at the same speed as the signal, it would never arrive at "B" but the cutoff speed is some value less than one and I can't seem to figure it out.

Can anyone help me untangle this?

Thanks for any help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ktoz said:
Hi

I'm working on a Mac application to visually illustrate the doppler effect and managed to confuse myself with the following problem. I'm sure it's an easy one but I've been looking at it too long and can't figure it out.

Here's it is:

Given two objects moving at the same speed along parallel paths on a plane, and a signal (say little marbles) being shot between them, where the time it takes for the signal to go from one object to the other is one second. If you accelerate the objects, at what speed, relative to the signal speed, would a signal from object "A" never arrive at object "B"?

I tried drawing a circle from the center of object "A" through the center of object "B" and see from that, that if the objects are moving at the same speed as the signal, it would never arrive at "B" but the cutoff speed is some value less than one and I can't seem to figure it out.

Can anyone help me untangle this?

Thanks for any help
I am not sure that I understand your question. I think you mean that you are using Newtonian physics and you are viewing the problem in some fixed reference frame. I think you are also assuming that the signal speed is a constant with respect to the reference frame, that is, changing the speed of object A with respect to the reference frame does not change the signal speed.

If that is the problem you are trying to solve, it seems to me that the limiting speed is the signal speed. At any object speed less than that, you can solve for the time at which the signal will reach the object B.

Perhaps you are uncomfortable with the idea that you can make object B's speed as close as you like to the signal speed and the signal can still intercept it, but when their speeds are equal no intercept is possible. But it seems to me that is just what you are looking for - the exact speed at which object B can no longer receive the signal.

Related to Help with moving emitter/receiver cutoff speed

1. What is emitter/receiver cutoff speed?

Emitter/receiver cutoff speed is the maximum speed at which an emitter and receiver can accurately detect and transmit signals to each other. It is an important factor in determining the effectiveness and reliability of the communication between the two components.

2. How does the emitter/receiver cutoff speed affect the performance of the system?

The emitter/receiver cutoff speed directly impacts the accuracy and reliability of the communication between the emitter and receiver. If the speed is too low, the system may not be able to accurately detect and transmit signals, leading to errors and decreased performance. On the other hand, if the speed is too high, the system may not be able to keep up with the signals, resulting in missed or incomplete data.

3. What factors can affect the emitter/receiver cutoff speed?

There are several factors that can affect the emitter/receiver cutoff speed, such as the distance between the emitter and receiver, the quality of the components, the type of signal being transmitted, and any external interference. It is important to consider and optimize these factors in order to achieve the desired cutoff speed.

4. How can I determine the ideal emitter/receiver cutoff speed for my system?

The ideal emitter/receiver cutoff speed will depend on the specific requirements and limitations of your system. It is important to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing to determine the optimal speed for your particular setup. Additionally, regularly monitoring and adjusting the cutoff speed as needed can help improve the overall performance of the system.

5. Are there any techniques or technologies that can improve the emitter/receiver cutoff speed?

Yes, there are various techniques and technologies that can help improve the emitter/receiver cutoff speed, such as using advanced signal processing algorithms, implementing error correction methods, and utilizing more precise and sensitive components. Additionally, improving the overall design and placement of the system can also contribute to achieving a higher cutoff speed.