Speed of a star in Special Relativity

In summary: It's not to do with infinitesimals For the emission event:$$\frac{dv_r}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(u\cos \theta) = -u(\sin \theta)\frac{d\theta}{dt} = -u(\frac{2\pi}{T})\sin \theta$$$$\Delta v_r = \frac{dv_r}{dt}\Delta t = \frac{dv_r}{dt}\frac 1 {f_s} = $$For the observation event:$$t_1 = \frac{R}{c + v_r}, \ t_2 = \frac{1}{f_
RafaPhysics
Homework Statement
I've been trying to solve this problem but I'm pretty sure there's something more that I could do, but I can't see it.
Relevant Equations
$$v_r=u sin\frac{2\pi}{T}\left(t-\frac{R}{c}+\frac{Rv_r}{c^2}\right)$$
Hey, I have this problem from the Special Relativity by AP. French . Exercise 3.3, Chapter 3.
The figure shows a double-star system with two stars, A and B, in circular orbits of the same period T about their center of mass. The earth is in the plane definied by these orbits at a distance R of many light-years. Let the speed of A in its orbit be u; then at any instant it has a velocity ##v_r(=ucos\theta)## along the line from the double-star system to the earth. When light emitted from A reaches the earth, its observed Doppler shift (change of wavelength of characteristic spectral lines) reveals the value of vr at the instant of emission.
If the speed of light from A to the earth were modified by the motion of A, so as to be equal to ##c+v_r##, show that the value of ##v_r##, as inferred from spectroscopic observations on earth, would appear to be varying with time in accordance with the following equation if ##u\ll c##: It's the equation above.
I've tried with the doppler efect, but I can't still see when It turns to ##sin##, there's something more but simply I can't see it. Please I need help.

Attachments

• Problema Relatividad.jpg
    Problema Relatividad.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 42
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess only AP French knows what laws of physics apply and which do not in this case! I'd assumed he means using the classical Doppler shift, without time dilation. I.e. assuming Newtonian physics with no invariant speed. Is that what you did?

PeroK said:
I guess only AP French knows what laws of physics apply and which do not in this case! I'd assumed he means using the classical Doppler shift, without time dilation. I.e. assuming Newtonian physics with no invariant speed. Is that what you did?
Yes, I did it. But I only come to the expression of the Doppler efect, but from that point to the expression above there's still a world of difference.

RafaPhysics said:
Yes, I did it. But I only come to the expression of the Doppler efect, but from that point to the expression above there's still a world of difference.
Why did you choose the AP French book?

I'm must admit, I'm not sure what he's assuming. Perhaps, if we assume that ##f_s## is the frequency at the source, then the crests of a light wave would be emitted at time ##\frac 1 {f_s}## apart. And, in that time, ##v_r## would increase by a tiny amount. The next crest would catch up with the one before it. That would explain why the distance ##R## gets into the equation. If ##R## was too large, then the light wave crests would arrive out of sequence! The assumption ##u \ll c## might be there to ensure that the crests arrive in the correct order?! Or, maybe not! Maybe the observation of adjacent crests coincide?!

If you are not too committed to French, I'd try another book. In any case, I'd be tempted to skip this question.

PS and it's not clear what the spectroscopists assume. Do they assume the relativistic Doppler shift? Is that the idea?

PeroK said:
PS and it's not clear what the spectroscopists assume. Do they assume the relativistic Doppler shift? Is that the idea?
I think they assume that the velocity of ligth depends of source motion, like It was Galilean, I had an idea, I have to take an infinitesimal time interval, after that take an infinitesimal distance interval, and then divide it by the already calculated time interval, but it still doesn't give the result.

RafaPhysics said:
I think they assume that the velocity of ligth depends of source motion, like It was Galilean, I had an idea, I have to take an infinitesimal time interval, after that take an infinitesimal distance interval, and then divide it by the already calculated time interval, but it still doesn't give the result.
It's not to do with infinitesimals For the emission event:
$$\frac{dv_r}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(u\cos \theta) = -u(\sin \theta)\frac{d\theta}{dt} = -u(\frac{2\pi}{T})\sin \theta$$$$\Delta v_r = \frac{dv_r}{dt}\Delta t = \frac{dv_r}{dt}\frac 1 {f_s} = $$For the observation event:
$$t_1 = \frac{R}{c + v_r}, \ t_2 = \frac{1}{f_s} + \frac{R}{c +v_r + \Delta v_r}$$$$f_o = \frac{1}{t_2 - t_1}$$And so on ...

1. What is the speed of a star in Special Relativity?

The speed of a star in Special Relativity can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. However, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Therefore, the speed of a star cannot exceed the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Can a star travel faster than the speed of light in Special Relativity?

No, according to the theory of Special Relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel. This means that a star, or any other object, cannot travel faster than the speed of light in Special Relativity.

3. How does the speed of a star affect time in Special Relativity?

In Special Relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the speed of an object. As an object, such as a star, approaches the speed of light, time will appear to slow down for an observer. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and is a fundamental principle of Special Relativity.

4. How does the speed of a star impact its mass in Special Relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, as an object's speed increases, its mass also increases. This means that a star traveling at high speeds will have a greater mass than the same star at rest. This effect is known as mass-energy equivalence and is described by the famous equation E=mc².

5. Does the speed of a star affect its length in Special Relativity?

Yes, in Special Relativity, an object's length can appear to change depending on the observer's frame of reference. As an object, such as a star, approaches the speed of light, its length will appear to contract in the direction of motion. This is known as length contraction and is another fundamental principle of Special Relativity.