Solving Determinants: Tips for Midterm Exam

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to finding a specific element in a matrix using the inverse or Cramer's rule. The expert suggests using Cramer's rule and explains the process of finding the element using this method. The conversation also mentions using the inverse and how it can also lead to the same answer. However, the expert believes that the instructor would prefer the use of Cramer's rule.
salman213
Hi, I have a midterm tomorrow for my Lin Alg course and I was doing some review probs and I can't seem to understand this one..

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/239/39786409wb4.jpg

Can someone help me and explain how to do this one!

I know I can just find the whole vector

x1,x2,x3,x4 by just multiplying by A^-1 but on a midterm I don't thinK I will want to waste time and find the inverse of such a matrix if there is another way to approach this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
IF you knew A-1, then x3 would just be third row of A-1 time that vector- in other words, since the given vector has a 1 in the second place, zeros elsewhere, it would be the number in the third row, second column of A-1. Can you think of a way of finding that number only? (Especially since you are given the determinant!)

thanks a lot

Cof (a) (2,3)
------------ = would be that specific element
det a

right?
!

I'm not sure what you mean by "cof(2,3)", but, since you're given a Cramer system AX = B (A is a regular matrix), the solution is X = (x1, x2, x3, x4), where xi = Dj / D, where Dj is the determinant of the matrix which is created by substituting the j-th column of the matrix A with B, and D = det A.

Yea somone asked that question today in morning cause exam is in afternoon and he said to do it that way ur saying.. so i guess i get what u said thanks!

but i treid what i was saying and it gives same answer since basically Cofactor of A of the 2,3 term divided by determinant of A is exactly the 3,2 term in the A^-1 and therefore thas waht we want. It gives same answer so I guess you can do it etiehr way but I am sure he would want us to use cramers rule to get like ur saying

det A with 3rd column replaced with 0,1,0,0 over determinant of A

thanks!

1. What are determinants and why are they important in linear algebra?

Determinants are mathematical tools used in linear algebra to determine the properties of a matrix. They are important because they can help us solve systems of linear equations, find inverses of matrices, and determine the volume of a parallelepiped defined by the column vectors of a matrix.

2. How do I find the determinant of a 2x2 or 3x3 matrix?

To find the determinant of a 2x2 matrix, you can use the formula ad-bc, where a, b, c, and d are the elements of the matrix. To find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, you can use the Laplace expansion method, where you choose a row or column and multiply each element by its corresponding minor (determinant of the smaller matrix formed by removing the row and column of the selected element). Then, you add or subtract these products based on the pattern + - +, starting with the first element in the row or column.

3. What are some tips for solving determinants efficiently?

Some tips for solving determinants efficiently include using the properties of determinants (e.g. multiplying a row or column by a scalar multiplies the determinant by the same scalar, swapping rows or columns changes the sign of the determinant) and using shortcuts for finding the determinant of a triangular matrix (simply multiplying the diagonal elements).

4. How can I use determinants to solve systems of linear equations?

Determinants can be used to solve systems of linear equations by setting up a matrix equation (using the coefficients of the variables) and taking the determinant of both sides. If the determinant is non-zero, the system has a unique solution. If the determinant is zero, then either the system has no solutions or infinitely many solutions.

5. Can I use determinants to find the inverse of a matrix?

Yes, determinants can be used to find the inverse of a matrix. The inverse of a matrix A is denoted as A-1 and can be found by using the formula A-1 = (1/det(A)) * adj(A), where adj(A) is the adjugate matrix (transpose of the cofactor matrix) of A. However, this method is only applicable for non-singular matrices (determinant is non-zero).