Wrong Mindset to Study: Tips from an Engineer's Journey

In summary, a Brazilian lady who created a YouTube channel focused on tips for succeeding in local admission exams discusses her own experiences. She emphasizes the importance of not following others' recommendations blindly, as well as the need to overcome self-defeating mindsets and find effective study methods. She also addresses the pressure to understand every detail and the illusion of simply watching videos or attending classes. Additionally, she mentions a toxic culture of pretending to know everything among peers in high competition environments.
0kelvin
There is a brazilian lady that created a youtube channel with tips to succeed in local admission exams. She is focused on high competition, such as engineering (she is one) and meds (she passed by studying 3 months prior then dropped out in the first month). She skipped MA and went from BC straight into PhD to study rockets and propulsion systems.

I can really relate to almost everything she said.

1- Some students pretend to be smart by telling you to use this or that book because they are the hardest and the best books. Wrong! Most of them are going to fail the exam.

2- She was felling self defeated because she was always felling that she was behind everyone else. This is what forced her to abandon the classes and focus on her own struggles and how to learn what she needed to learn to succeed.

3- The self defeating mindset is really a problem. If you don't believe it, you'll most likely not going to pass.

4- Don't stick to the course that you are enrolled in. They have their own order and pace and it'll inevitably not match your own.

5- Don't copy everything! You waste all your energy into copying without understanding anything!

6- There is a video in which she mentioned a self-blame mindset. Like this "Oh! I'm here at the supermarket and there is this 15 minutes line to pay and go home. DAMN! I WISH I WAS AT HOME STUDYING RIGHT NOW! 15 minutes!".

7- People try to focus on reading and understanding every little detail because anything and everything is important! Nothing to be left behind! This mindset is overwhelming and is most likely going to cause you to burn out sooner or later. Spending many hours reading and then writing recaps on every topic is not efficient, it's counter productive.

8- Watch a video or attend a class. This does not mean that you have learned. In fact, this is an illusion!

9- She was ashamed of asking questions, because lots of her peers pretended to know everything. She mentions that while she was at a school with a focus on hard admission exams, her peers pretended that everything was easy. "Oh! The exam tomorrow? I don't need to study, I already know everything! People who waste hours studying are losers. Look at my grade, A++++ without having to sit down and study many hours! (I'm a genius!)". Where did they learn that? What the ****??

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any point in this second-hand expose ? If so, provide a link.
There are many brazilian ladies.

##\ ##

Likes Vanadium 50, Hamiltonian and berkeman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFHyfdsyryhf7PYQX2j-Pg

I didn't put her channel because she doesn't record anything in english.

500px-Susane_Ribeiro_T09.jpg

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint

1. What is the "wrong mindset" when it comes to studying?

The wrong mindset when it comes to studying is one that focuses solely on achieving good grades rather than truly understanding the material. This can lead to surface-level learning and a lack of critical thinking skills.

2. How can an engineer's journey provide tips for studying?

Engineers are trained to think critically and problem-solve, which are essential skills for effective studying. By sharing their journey and study strategies, engineers can provide valuable insights for students looking to improve their own studying habits.

3. Can changing my mindset really make a difference in my studying?

Yes, changing your mindset can have a significant impact on your studying. By shifting your focus from grades to understanding, you can improve your critical thinking skills and retain information better, leading to long-term success in your studies.

4. What are some practical tips for changing my mindset when it comes to studying?

Some practical tips for changing your mindset when it comes to studying include setting specific goals, focusing on understanding rather than memorization, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It's also essential to have a positive attitude and believe in your ability to learn and improve.

5. How can I stay motivated to maintain the right mindset for studying?

Staying motivated to maintain the right mindset for studying can be challenging, but some strategies can help. These include setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, surrounding yourself with supportive peers, and reminding yourself of the long-term benefits of a growth mindset.