Solving the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity

In summary, there appears to be a paradox in Galilean relativity when considering rest frames. In one case, the rest frame is defined as the frame moving along with a particle at a constant velocity. However, in the case of a rotating body, there is no single inertial frame where the entire body is at rest. This leads to a contradiction in the definition of a rest frame.
bigerst
seems to be a "paradox" in galilean relativity

Hello

I'm having a little bit of trouble with so-called rest frames. I will distinguish two cases.

consider frame S, and a particle moving along the x-axis at speed v.

Case I: consider the rest frame S' traveling along with x at speed v, so in S' x remains at rest in the origin. this is typically the "rest frame" in relativity

Case II: this is what I consider to be a bit of paradoxical nature, consider the set of all frames such that
a)the particle is moving at v in the x direction
b)the particle is at the origin of this frame
c)this frame is at rest in S

naturally at any given time there is only 1 frame that satisfies these conditions, interestingly, if we let time go forward and mark out the origin of these frames with a red dot, the red dot travels at precisely v and in fact at any time it overlaps with the particle.

of course there is nothing too paradoxical about the argument, not one single frame is moving. relative velocity is still v. first am I correct in all of the above reasoning?

well here comes the part that bugs me, and it comes from Taylor's classical mechanics book on rotational dynamics. it states (if i interpreted correctly) that in a rotating body's "body frame" in which the axis are defined by the body's principal axis of rotation, there can be still a non-zero angular velocity. if that is true then i think it is evoking the "Rest frame" scenario of case II. however, it then uses the transformation properties of vectors of a truly self rotating frame, which is analogous to Case 1. So i don't get it, what am i missing here?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand where the problem is.
For a rotating body, there is no inertial frame where the whole body is at rest, as different parts of the body move with different velocity in all inertial frames (relative velocities are independent of the frames).
This is different from non-rotating objects.

1. What is the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity?

The "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity refers to the apparent contradiction between Galileo's principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the Galilean transformation equations, which describe the relationship between measurements made by two observers in different frames of reference.

2. How do scientists solve the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity?

Scientists solve the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity by recognizing that the Galilean transformation equations are only applicable to situations where the relative velocities between the two frames of reference are much smaller than the speed of light. For situations where the relative velocities are close to the speed of light, the equations of special relativity must be used.

3. What is the role of time dilation in solving the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity?

Time dilation, a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of special relativity, plays a crucial role in solving the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity. It explains why two observers in different frames of reference will measure different elapsed times for the same event, depending on their relative velocities.

4. Can the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity be observed in everyday life?

No, the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity is not observable in everyday life. It only becomes apparent when dealing with objects or observers moving at speeds close to the speed of light, which is not achievable in normal circumstances.

5. Why is it important to understand the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity?

Understanding the "Paradox" in Galilean Relativity is important because it led to the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It also has practical applications in modern technology, such as GPS systems, which rely on the principles of relativistic physics to function accurately.