Is Incompressibility a Prerequisite for Steady Flow in Fluid Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the terms steady and incompressible flow in fluid mechanics. Steady flow refers to a flow pattern that does not change with time, while incompressible flow means that the fluid density does not change with time. The question arises whether steady flow is possible in a compressible fluid. It is explained that as long as the density changes with position and not time, steady flow can still occur. The example of a rocket nozzle is given as an instance of compressible steady flow. However, it is pointed out that even in steady flow, the density of a fluid element may change with time due to a change in volume. There is a humorous exchange about the correctness of this information and a suggestion for a new fluid mechanics
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In fluid mechanics, one hears the term steady, incompressible flow. Steady flow refers to the fact that the overall flow pattern (the flow lines, which indicate the paths of individual particles within the fluid) do not change with time. Incompressible flow refers to the fact that the fluid density does not change with time (the mass of the fluid cannot be "compressed" into a smaller volume, for instance).

My question regards the alternatives to this pair of conditions. I understand that unsteady flow is possible in an incompressible fluid (after all, why wouldn't it be?). More perplexing to me is whether steady flow is possible in a compressible fluid. If the density of the fluid changes with time, then it seems to me the flow is not steady, because the paths of particles (or fluid elements, if you like) passing a certain point could not be the same as their predecessors'. Is incompressibility a prerequisite for steady flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be compressible steady flow as long as the density field changes with position but not with time.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
I see. That makes sense. Density changing with time means that the flow pattern is changing (particles are moving around as fluid that was once less dense becomes compressed, or vice versa). So the flow cannot be steady. And it is not necessarily true that what goes in (to a tube, for example) must come out. Because the total mass in the tube need not be constant.

If the density only changes with position, then it still must be true that the mass flow rate in equals the mass flow rate out...it just means that the same mass coming out of the tube at the other end may take up a different volume.

Am I interpreting you correctly?

Exactly. In the steady flow, it is necessary that the flow of mass into a fixed volume equals the flow out. Otherwise the density of that volume (fixed in space) would be changing with time. So if the density of the fluid changes with position, its velocity will have to change with position to keep the mass flow rate constant.

Even in steady flow, if you follow a particular fluid element along its path, you will see its density change with time because its volume changes. But the density at a point fixed in space remains constant with time.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
Compresssible steady flow can typically occur (and be designed for) in the nozzle of a rocket engine where the gas fuel is expelled through.

By clever designing, the compressibility of the gas, along with the geometry of the nozzle cause the gas to be expelled with an immense velocity.

arildno said:
Compresssible steady flow can typically occur (and be designed for) in the nozzle of a rocket engine where the gas fuel is expelled through.

Hmm No No No, Arildno, too wrong... :rofl:

Next time see the Space Shuttle launching. Do you really think the flow through a rocket nozzle is steady?. The turbulence makes it to be extremely unsteady and far away from steadiness of mean values also.

I think you need a new fluid mech book, arildno. When is your birthday? I'll send you one as a gift. :rofl: :wink:

Clausius2 said:
Hmm No No No, Arildno, too wrong... :rofl:

Next time see the Space Shuttle launching. Do you really think the flow through a rocket nozzle is steady?. The turbulence makes it to be extremely unsteady and far away from steadiness of mean values also.

I think you need a new fluid mech book, arildno. When is your birthday? I'll send you one as a gift. :rofl: :wink:
Oh dear.. :redface:

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't send him Fluid Mechanics by Frank M White. :grumpy: Awful book...

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, including liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves the study of how these fluids flow and interact with their surroundings, as well as the forces and energy involved in their movement.

2. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in our daily lives, including the design of airplanes, cars, and ships. It is also used in the development of energy systems such as turbines and pumps, as well as in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents.

3. What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include the laws of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, as well as the equations of motion and continuity. These principles are used to describe and analyze the behavior of fluids in various situations.

4. How is fluid mechanics related to other branches of science?

Fluid mechanics has connections to many other branches of science, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and materials science. It also overlaps with other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, in the study of fluid behavior at a microscopic level.

5. What are some current research topics in fluid mechanics?

Current research in fluid mechanics includes the study of turbulent flows, multiphase flows, and fluid-structure interactions. There is also ongoing research in developing new techniques and models for predicting and controlling fluid behavior, as well as applications in emerging fields such as nanotechnology and biotechnology.