Uniform Circular Motion A Jet Pilot

In summary, a jet pilot wants to take his aircraft in a vertical loop without exceeding a centripetal acceleration of 6.0 g's. Using the equation a=(v^2)/r, with a speed of 840km/h at the lowest point of the loop, the minimum radius of the circle is calculated to be 925.90m. This confirms that the first answer of 925.90m is correct.
Brenwells
Uniform Circular Motion "A Jet Pilot"

Hi, my apologies if this has been posted before. I was just wondering if someone could help look over this question for me and confirm if I did it correct or not. It is a written homework rather than online so I can't check my answer to see if I did it correctly.

A jet pilot takes his aircraft in a vertical loop. (a) If the jet is moving at a speed of 840km/h at the lowest point of the loop, determine the minimum radius of the circle so that the centripetal acceleration at the lowest point does not exceed 6.0 g's.

840km/h = 233.33 m/s
6g = (6*9.80) = 58.8m/s^2

Equation used a=(v^2)/r

but I continue to get confused between which is velocity and acceleration.

Would I have

r=(233.33^2)/58.8
r=925.90m

or

r=(58.8^2)/233.33
r=14.82m

which the first answer of 925.90m sounds a lot more correct than 14.82 but I just wanted to make sure. If someone could please confirm that would be great.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity has units of m/s

Acceleration has units of m/s^2

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object covers equal distances in equal time intervals.

2. How does a jet pilot experience uniform circular motion?

A jet pilot experiences uniform circular motion when they are flying in a circular path at a constant speed, such as during a turn or a loop. The forces acting on the pilot and the jet must be balanced in order for this motion to occur.

3. What forces are acting on a jet pilot during uniform circular motion?

The two main forces acting on a jet pilot during uniform circular motion are centripetal force and centrifugal force. Centripetal force, directed towards the center of the circular path, keeps the pilot and the jet moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force, directed away from the center of the circle, is a perceived force that pushes the pilot and the jet outwards.

4. How is the speed of a jet pilot affected during uniform circular motion?

The speed of a jet pilot remains constant during uniform circular motion, as long as the radius of the circular path and the centripetal force remain constant. This means that the pilot will experience a constant level of acceleration, but their speed will not change.

5. How does a jet pilot maintain uniform circular motion?

A jet pilot maintains uniform circular motion by adjusting the direction and magnitude of their thrust and lift forces. These forces must be balanced in order for the pilot to continue moving in a circular path at a constant speed. The pilot also uses their control surfaces, such as the rudder and ailerons, to adjust their direction and maintain balance in the forces acting on the jet.