Uniform Circular Motion "A Jet Pilot"

by Brenwells
Tags: centripetal force, circular, graviational force, motion, radius, uniform, uniform circular, vertical circle
Brenwells
Oct6-13, 02:07 PM
P: 1
Hi, my apologies if this has been posted before. I was just wondering if someone could help look over this question for me and confirm if I did it correct or not. It is a written homework rather than online so I can't check my answer to see if I did it correctly.

A jet pilot takes his aircraft in a vertical loop. (a) If the jet is moving at a speed of 840km/h at the lowest point of the loop, determine the minimum radius of the circle so that the centripetal acceleration at the lowest point does not exceed 6.0 g's.

840km/h = 233.33 m/s
6g = (6*9.80) = 58.8m/s^2

Equation used a=(v^2)/r

but I continue to get confused between which is velocity and acceleration.

Would I have

r=(233.33^2)/58.8
r=925.90m

or

r=(58.8^2)/233.33
r=14.82m

which the first answer of 925.90m sounds a lot more correct than 14.82 but I just wanted to make sure. If someone could please confirm that would be great.

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
SteamKing
Oct6-13, 02:51 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,598
Velocity has units of m/s

Acceleration has units of m/s^2

Register to reply