Extending Ordinals: Constructions & Inverses

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary, the person does not remember what they were trying to do and does not remember what the course was about.
jostpuur
Is there well studied constructions of some kind of extensions of the set of ordinal numbers, where each non zero number x also has the inverse x^(-1) so that x^(-1) x=1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, there are 'too many' ordinals to fit in a set, so you'd have to talk about the class of ordinals.

Now, the class of ordinals doesn't have any arithmetic operations on it -- which did you mean:
(1) You want to know if the multiplicative monoid of ordinals can be extended to a group.
(2) You want to see if there is any binary product on the class of ordinals (or an extension of them) that turns them into a group. (I assume you want associativity)

If you mean the former, then clearly no extension exists; the multiplicative monoid of ordinals is not right-cancellable.

Hurkyl said:
Firstly, there are 'too many' ordinals to fit in a set, so you'd have to talk about the class of ordinals.

I've taken one course on the axiomatic set theory successfully, but I was lost during the entire course, and don't remember this stuff anymore even as badly as I did.

Now, the class of ordinals doesn't have any arithmetic operations on it -- which did you mean:
(1) You want to know if the multiplicative monoid of ordinals can be extended to a group.
(2) You want to see if there is any binary product on the class of ordinals (or an extension of them) that turns them into a group. (I assume you want associativity)

If you mean the former, then clearly no extension exists; the multiplicative monoid of ordinals is not right-cancellable.

I don't know what I want. I succeeded in avoiding calling this extension a "field extension", because I know that the addition and multiplication on ordinals don't work like in fields, but I was still thinking about some other kind of extension that would be similar.

1. What are ordinals and why are they important in mathematics?

Ordinals are mathematical objects that represent the order or sequence of a set. They are important in mathematics because they provide a way to compare the size or magnitude of different sets, and they can be used to construct larger and more complex mathematical structures.

2. How do you extend ordinals beyond the finite numbers?

To extend ordinals beyond the finite numbers, we use a mathematical concept called transfinite induction. This allows us to define and construct ordinals that are infinitely large, such as omega (ω) and the aleph numbers (ℵ).

3. What is the Cantor Normal Form and how is it used in extending ordinals?

The Cantor Normal Form is a way of representing ordinals as a sum of smaller ordinals. It is used in extending ordinals because it allows us to express large ordinals in a more compact and manageable form.

4. How do you construct the inverse of an ordinal?

The inverse of an ordinal is constructed by taking the reciprocal of the ordinal in terms of ordinal addition. This means that for any ordinal α, the inverse of α is defined as 1/α, where 1 is the smallest ordinal.

5. Can ordinals be used to compare the size of infinite sets?

Yes, ordinals can be used to compare the size of infinite sets. In fact, the cardinality (size) of a set is often defined in terms of the smallest ordinal that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set. This allows us to compare the size of any two sets, including infinite ones.