Dirty Jobs - What was that animal?

In summary, Mike Rowe was helping an Big Animal Veteranarian. It looked like it could have been a wolverine or fisher but it had a very pointed snout like a possum has. Big white whiskers.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
On Dirty Jobs tonight, Mike Rowe was helping an Big Animal Veteranarian. What was that critter? It looks like it could have been a wolverine or fisher but it had a very pointed snout like a possum has. Big white whiskers.

I can't describe it well, but I've been ruling things out with my biologist sister and Googling it.

The key is the sharp pointed snout - completely unlike weasel, mink, otter or wolverine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Was it the Bearcat? I recall seeing one on his show once. I tell you, that show made me acquire respect for so many people.

That description makes me think of Giant Anteaters.

hypatia said:
Was it the Bearcat? I recall seeing one on his show once. I tell you, that show made me acquire respect for so many people.
Yep that was it.

Knowing the name I could Google it and found http://www.tv.com/dirty-jobs/exotic-animal-keeper/episode/1141065/recap.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see a bearcat upclose, such a cool animal.

They have a strange smell because of the musk gland under the prehensile tail. The fur is more like straight steel wool, really not soft at all. And they do eat a lot of bananas, at least the one I was around had a corner on the local banana market. He ate something like 6-7 pounds of bananas along with other fruit and some eggs. Every day.

jim mcnamara said:
They have a strange smell because of the musk gland under the prehensile tail.
According to the show, the smell is indistinguishable from popcorn.

jim mcnamara said:
The fur is more like straight steel wool, really not soft at all.
That was one of the notable things I was trying to descrinbe to my sister. It didn't look like otter fur or anything sleek - it looked grayish and had http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz...m_Steph_14928553_400.jpg.html?hint=nm0000385".

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so now I want to be up close to Sam Elliott and a bearcat!

hypatia said:
Sam Elliott and a bearcat!
I think I was once described thusly by a girlfriend. Come on over.:biggrin:

She said you smelled like popcorn?

My girlfriend said I reminded her of popcorn. Jiffy Pop popcorn actually. She said 30 seconds a pop and not very satisfying.

Last edited:
tribdog said:
My girlfriend said I reminded her of popcorn. Jiffy Pop popcorn actually. She said 30 seconds a pop and not very satisfying.
Badum tsk!

And tribdog gets the "straight line thru the name" award for this thread... Oh well.

tribdog said:
If you wait too long before taking it out, does it start to burn?:rolleyes:

You guys are going to get fish-whapped or something...

Actually, she was talking about trying to have a serious conversation with me, but I see where your mind is.

You have ADHD?

Dave -

No, he has only a DVD.

1. What are some of the dirtiest animals featured on the show?

Some of the dirtiest animals featured on the show include pigs, cows, chickens, and various rodents such as rats and mice.

2. How do the hosts protect themselves from getting dirty while handling these animals?

The hosts typically wear protective clothing and gear, such as gloves and coveralls, to prevent direct contact with the animals and their waste.

3. Are there any animals that are surprisingly clean despite their dirty jobs?

Yes, there are some animals that may have dirty jobs but are actually quite clean. For example, the host has featured a pig farmer who takes great care in keeping his pigs and their living spaces clean and hygienic.

4. Does the show ever address the potential health hazards of working with dirty animals?

Yes, the show often addresses the potential health risks associated with working with dirty animals. The hosts and experts on the show take necessary precautions to ensure their safety and educate viewers on how to stay safe when working with these animals.

5. Are there any episodes that focus specifically on the cleanliness or hygiene of animals?

While the show primarily focuses on the dirty jobs that animals perform, there have been a few episodes that touch on the cleanliness and hygiene of animals. For example, there have been episodes featuring pet groomers and zookeepers who talk about the importance of keeping animals clean and healthy.