Important find:when is the light wave-motion ?and when is particle-motion?

In summary, Garth believes that light has wave-particle duality and that this duality applies to atomic particles as well. He thinks that the diffraction pattern of light is determined by the speed of the particles that the light is passing through, and that this speed is constant for every color of light.
xszxsz
Important find:when is the light wave-motion ?and when is particle-motion?

refer:
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/quantumzone/debroglie.html

I think that physics generally known as light has wave-particle duality being very ambiguous,can you strict distinguish when the light is wave-motion and when is particle-motion?
I think it must be:
(1)All nature light has not wave-motion but only has particle-motion,it moves in particle but not propagation by wave;
(2)The wave-motion of light only produce after the light "collide with" slits,no slits will no wave-motion of light.So wave-motion is not the nature possessionlety of light.But when existing a nature slits,light behaving wave-motion,e.g. rainbow;
(3)Different monochromatic light has different speed,because contrast with below:
In electron diffraction experiment,diffraction pattern change by the changing of speed of electron.So that,if it does not pass through the slits,different monochromatic light could not be call "different frequency light",but only could be call"different speed light";
(4)Please do the experiment of " monochromatic light decelerate diffraction",you maybe could find the "frequency"of the monochromatic light can be changed!
(5)Light series red shift is just only the deceleration of the light that come from remote star.
If it as above,many famous experiment in history would lost it's theory basis,e.g. Melde's experiment;and physics teaching-book must be modified in large scope! Morden physics is a theory
setting up behind slits,knowing correctly things behind slits,but not correctly knowing things in front

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
when any energy is transferred to light, the light will be in wave-motion(a kind of EM-wave). when the wave of the light is stopped by or collide with any particle or a surface, it'll be in particle-motion. that's why Einstein said light has duality characteristic. and that's how our photo-solar cells work.

light has only one speed which is 3*10^8 m/s. it's the speed of EM-wave as well. white light is composed of 7 colors of lights(which are the colors in a spectrum) and every color has different frequencies. however, it doesn't mean they has different speed. every color is actually has different frequency and different wave length because their speeds are constant.
red shift and blue shift are also the same. the speed of light doesn't change during red or blue shift. what are changing are actually its frequency and wave lenght.

tmwong said:
when any energy is transferred to light, the light will be in wave-motion(a kind of EM-wave). when the wave of the light is stopped by or collide with any particle or a surface, it'll be in particle-motion. that's why Einstein said light has duality characteristic. and that's how our photo-solar cells work.
So, conveniently enough, when you want it to be a wave, its a wave, and when you want it to be a particle, its a particle!

The weird thing though is that this wave/particle duality applies to atomic particles, electrons, proton etc. as well! Are you are wave or a particle?

Garth

Garth said:
The weird thing though is that this wave/particle duality applies to atomic particles, electrons, proton etc. as well! Are you are wave or a particle?

Garth

Using the double slit test, I would say I'm a particle more than a wave. I haven't tried to run the numbers, but I'm confident that it would take a lot more than my lifetime to diffract me through a double-slit apparatus to get an interference pattern :-)

One point I'm not very clear about is how the presence of internal states affects/degrades the diffraction pattern. I believe I've read that molecules in very highly excited states have still produced difraction patterns when run through a double slit.

Google finds THIS reference to an example of the sort of experiment I'm talking about, though it doesn't talk about the details of the internal states available to such a large molecule.

1. When is light considered a wave and when is it considered a particle?

Light can exhibit characteristics of both a wave and a particle, depending on the experiment being conducted. In general, light is considered a wave when it is traveling through space, and a particle when it is interacting with matter.

2. How do we know that light has both wave and particle properties?

The phenomenon of interference and diffraction, which are properties of waves, have been observed in experiments with light. However, the photoelectric effect, in which light causes electrons to be emitted from a metal surface, can only be explained by treating light as a particle.

3. Can light be both a wave and a particle at the same time?

No, according to the principle of complementarity in quantum mechanics, an object cannot exhibit both wave and particle properties simultaneously. The behavior of light depends on the experimental setup and how it is observed.

4. How does the concept of wave-particle duality apply to other particles?

The concept of wave-particle duality also applies to other elementary particles, such as electrons and photons. These particles can also exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, depending on the experimental conditions.

5. How does the concept of wave-particle duality impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of wave-particle duality challenges the classical understanding of particles as solid, distinct objects. It also helps to explain many phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle. It has greatly expanded our understanding of the behavior of particles and the nature of reality.