Efficient Scrolling with Mouse & Keys for Reading

• Thread starter Bartholomew
  • Start date
In summary, some people like to arrange their mouse pointer while reading online to avoid the vertical text line cursor. Others print articles they are not interested in reading and make sure their pointer is out of the way. Some people find the vertical text line cursor troublesome, while others don't mind it.
Bartholomew
When I am reading stuff with a mouse that has a scroll wheel, sometimes I like to arrange the mouse pointer so that I can roll the scroll wheel up and down and have the pointer always land _between_ lines of text (in non-text space, so I don't get the text selector pointer) as the document scrolls. Sometimes I use the arrow keys for the same thing. Does anyone else do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just print it. I hate reading a lot online.

I just make sure the pointer is out of the way if I had to read an article not worth printing, but then again if it is not worth printing, it probably isn't worth reading.

Well, even just on physicsforums I do this all the time. You have to scroll a lot anyway and I try to scroll so my cursor goes through the thick of the text without ever turning into that vertical text line.

I have no clue what you are talking about. I use the scroll wheel, but don't have a problem with it turning into a text line cursor. in fact I like the text line cursor.

The vertical text line spoils the harmony and constancy of the pointer cursor, shocking it from its reverie.

yes, I can see how that could be considered troublesome. in fact, YARRRRRGH! Nay, you still spit bile! AVAST! ARRR

I know exactly what you're talking about!

Haha, I do it all the time too..!

Bartholomew said:
The vertical text line spoils the harmony and constancy of the pointer cursor, shocking it from its reverie.

Oh, whew! :rolleyes: At least there's a good reason.

I was beginning to worry you might be suffering from OCD. :frown:

What is "Efficient Scrolling with Mouse & Keys for Reading"?

"Efficient Scrolling with Mouse & Keys for Reading" is a technique for quickly and easily scrolling through text on a computer using a combination of mouse and keyboard commands.

Why is this technique important for reading?

This technique can help improve reading speed and reduce eye strain by allowing the reader to quickly move through long passages of text without having to manually scroll with the mouse or trackpad.

What are the key commands for efficient scrolling?

The key commands for efficient scrolling include using the spacebar to scroll down one page, using the arrow keys to scroll up and down, and using the Home and End keys to jump to the beginning or end of a document.

Can this technique be used on any type of document?

Yes, this technique can be used on any type of document that can be opened on a computer, such as PDFs, Word documents, and web pages.

Are there any alternatives to this technique?

Yes, there are alternative methods for scrolling through text, such as using a dedicated scrolling device or using a scroll wheel on a mouse. However, using a combination of mouse and keyboard commands is often the most efficient and convenient method.