I with the following questions.

• Thread starter DLxX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved solving for possible values of a given equation and finding the largest area of a rectangle. The value of csc was defined and a calculator was used to find the values of theta in the given equations. The method of completing the square was also mentioned to find the largest possible value of the area. One person suggested using calculus, but the other person pointed out that the material is typically learned in pre-calculus and may not require calculus. The possible values obtained for the equations were 9.6 and 170.4 degrees for 2a) and 60 and 300 degrees for 2b).
DLxX
1. Given csc(-) = 1.4, what is one possible value of (-) in radians?

2. Solve for (-) in each equation. Give the exact value if possible. The domain is the set of all real numbers.

a) 2sin(3theta)=1 b) 2sin(-) cos(-) =sin(-)

(-) = theta btw

3. A rectange has a length of x and width of y. If 3x + 2y = 96, find the largest area the rectange can have and the dimensions of the largest rectange.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
3.It's rectangle (sic).Do you know how to use Lagrange multipliers...?

2 & 1.Post your work.

Daniel.

For 3 write the area in terms of x.
How do you maximize a function of one variable?

For number 3 I ended up getting x as 16 and y as 24, using guess and check. Is this correct?

U can't use guess and check.U need to use CALCULUS...

Daniel.

It may be the correct answer but it'd be better to learn a method, or a reason.

The above hints were one way. here's another.

you want to maximize xy subject to 3x+2y=96

that's the same as maximizing 2r*3s, letting 2r=x and 3y=s, subject to

r+s=16, which by symmetry always happens when r=s=8 so x=16 and y=24 indeed.

1. How is csc defined? After you have answered that, use a calculator.

2. a) Divide both sides of the equation by 2: sin(3θ)= 1/2 You should be able to write 3θ immediately - if not use a calculator.
b) An obvious possibility is sin(θ)= 0. If sin(θ) is not 0, you can divide the equation by sin(θ) to get 2cos(θ)= 1 so cos(θ)= 1/2 .
Now see part (a)!

3. The area of a rectangle with sides x and y is A= xy. You are told 3x+ 2y= 96 so
y= 48- (3/2)x. A= x(48- (3/2)x)= 48x- (3/2)x2. You can now complete the square to find the largest possible value of that.

dextercioby said:
U can't use guess and check.U need to use CALCULUS...

Daniel.
I'm in Grade 12 Pre Calculus and this assignment isn't based on new material, but material most likely learned in Grade 11 Pre Calculus, so I doubt I have to use Calculus. Unless the Calculus needed is very basic.

HallsofIvy said:
1. How is csc defined? After you have answered that, use a calculator.

2. a) Divide both sides of the equation by 2: sin(3?)= 1/2 You should be able to write 3? immediately - if not use a calculator.
b) An obvious possibility is sin(?)= 0. If sin(?) is not 0, you can divide the equation by sin(?) to get 2cos(?)= 1 so cos(?)= 1/2 .
Now see part (a)!

3. The area of a rectangle with sides x and y is A= xy. You are told 3x+ 2y= 96 so
y= 48- (3/2)x. A= x(48- (3/2)x)= 48x- (3/2)x2. You can now complete the square to find the largest possible value of that.

For number 2a) I got 9.6 and 170.4 degrees. and for 2b) I got 60 and 300 degrees. Is this correct?

1. What does "I with the following questions" mean?

"I with the following questions" refers to a statement or action being accompanied by a list of questions. It is commonly used to introduce a series of related questions or to express the speaker's interest in seeking further information.

2. How do I format my "I with the following questions" statement?

The format of "I with the following questions" can vary depending on the context and purpose. However, a common format is to use a colon to introduce the statement and then list each question on a new line, starting with a bullet point or number for each question.

3. Can I use "I with the following questions" in a formal setting?

Yes, "I with the following questions" can be used in a formal setting, such as in a research or academic setting. However, it is important to make sure the format and tone of the questions align with the formality of the setting.

4. Are there any alternatives to using "I with the following questions"?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using "I with the following questions" depending on the context and purpose. Some alternatives include "I have some questions," "My questions are as follows," or simply listing the questions without introducing them with a statement.

5. How can I ensure my "I with the following questions" are clear and concise?

To ensure clarity and conciseness, it is important to use clear and specific language in your questions. Avoid using vague or ambiguous terms and make sure each question is focused on one topic. Additionally, proofreading and revising your questions can help eliminate any unnecessary or redundant wording.