Geometry and algebraic equations

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses a circle with parametric representation and a line with a parametric equation. The goal is to determine the values of h, r, and θe using given values of β, α, and A. Three equations are used to specify the system, including an area equation, a circle-line intersection equation, and a dot product equation. The conversation also includes a discussion on a minor typo in the equations.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm given a circle with parametric representation ##x=r\sin\theta,y=h+r\cos\theta##. There is also a line, which has the parametric equation ##x=x,y=\cot (\beta) x##. Note the line makes angle ##\beta## with the y-axis. When the circle intersects the line, it makes an angle, call this angle ##\alpha##. The 2D area of the enclosed y-axis,circular arc, and line, together form an area, call this ##A##. Given ##\beta,\alpha,A##, I want to determine ##h,r,\theta_e## where ##\theta_e## is the ##\theta## value that intersects with the line. See the image below for clarity.

I've come up with three equations to specify the system: can you confirm these are correct? I use subscribts ##c## and ##l## to denote circle and line respectively.

1) area equation
$$
\int_0^{\theta_e} y_c \, dx - \int_0^{x_c(\theta_e)} y_l \, dx = A \implies\\
\int_0^{\theta_e} y_c x_c'(\theta) \, d\theta - \int_0^{x_c(\theta_e)} y_l \, dx = A \implies\\
\boxed{\frac{1}{2} r (\sin (\theta_e ) (2 h+r \csc (\beta ) \sin (\beta -\theta_e))+\theta_e r) = A}.
$$

2) circle intersecting line equation
$$
x_c = x_l,\,\,\,y_c=y_l\implies\\
\boxed{h+r\cos\theta_e = r\sin\theta_e\cot\beta}.
$$

3) dot product of unit-tangent vectors for circle and line intersection must equal ##\cos\alpha##

$$
\left.\frac{\langle x_c'(\theta),y_c'(\theta)\rangle}{|| \langle x_c'(\theta),y_c'(\theta)\rangle||} \cdot \frac{\langle x_l,y_l'(x)\rangle}{|| \langle x_l,y_l'(x)\rangle||}\right|_{\theta=\theta_e} = \cos\alpha\implies\\
\boxed{-\sin(\theta_e-\beta)=\cos\alpha}.
$$

IMG_1378.jpg

How do these equations look? (OOPS, the bottom figure labels the upper-right angle ##\theta##, but it should read ##\alpha##. My fault!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I didn't look over everything, but most of it looks good. I do see in the dot product with the line that goes through the origin, you can either use ## (x,y) ## or ## (1,dy/dx) ##, but not ##(x, dy/dx) ##.
e.g. You can parametrize the line with ## x=x ## and ## y=y(x) ##, and instead of using ## (dx/dt,dy/dt) ##, you use ##(dx/dx,dy/dx) ## for the tangent vector.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I didn't look over everything, but most of it looks good. I do see in the dot product with the line that goes through the origin, you can either use ## (x,y) ## or ## (1,dy/dx) ##, but not ##(x, dy/dx) ##.
e.g. You can parametrize the line with ## x=x ## and ## y=y(x) ##, and instead of using ## (dx/dt,dy/dt) ##, you use ##(dx/dx,dy/dx) ##.
Shoot, I meant 1 there ***typo***, so dx/dx. Thanks. So this is correct: I'm not crazy?

Likes Charles Link
It looks very good, but I did not yet study it in enough detail to verify whether it is completely correct. I think you did a couple of things rather well, including getting the direction and position of ## \theta ## correct.

Last edited:
Thanks. See when I solve there are some tricky parts. For example, the arc can be convex or concave. Anyone see anything tricky I'm missing?

Likes Charles Link

What is the difference between geometry and algebra?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and dimensions of objects in space. Algebra, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations.

How are geometry and algebra related?

Geometry and algebra are closely related as they both involve the use of mathematical concepts and principles to solve problems. Algebra can be used to solve geometric equations and formulas, while geometry can be used to visualize and understand algebraic concepts.

What are some common geometric shapes and their equations?

Some common geometric shapes and their equations include a circle (x^2 + y^2 = r^2), a square (s^2 = a^2 + b^2), a triangle (A = 1/2 * b * h), and a rectangle (A = l * w).

How do you solve for unknown variables in algebraic equations?

To solve for unknown variables in algebraic equations, you can use various techniques such as simplifying the equation, isolating the variable, using the distributive property, and solving for one variable at a time. You can also use substitution or elimination methods in systems of equations.

What are some real-life applications of geometry and algebra?

Geometry and algebra have numerous real-life applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, physics, computer graphics, and navigation. They are also used in daily tasks such as calculating area and volume, designing structures, and solving financial problems.