Atmospheric Transmittance Venus?

In summary, the person is asking for information on the atmospheric transmittance of Venus, specifically in the C-band. They were directed to a website with Venus spectra, but are looking for a transmittance plot. They provide an example of what they are looking for using the Earth's atmosphere.
Nostalgia00
Hi guys this is my first post! I've been trying to find a plot of the atmospheric transmittance of Venus but I've had no luck. I'm particularly interested in the C-band transmittance. Thanks for any information you have!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sorry your first post took three days to get an answer! Can you not just look up the absorbtion spectrum for the Earth's atmosphere and compare that to Venus' spectrum? Subtract one from the other type of thing? Venus is just reflected sunlight with some absorbtion lines, etc...

Perhaps this might help: http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2009/07/Venus_spectra_from_SCIAMACHY

Is that what you're looking for?

What is atmospheric transmittance on Venus?

Atmospheric transmittance is the percentage of solar radiation that can pass through Venus' atmosphere. It is affected by the composition, thickness, and density of the atmosphere.

What is the average atmospheric transmittance on Venus?

The average atmospheric transmittance on Venus is approximately 3%. This means that only 3% of the solar radiation that reaches the top of Venus' atmosphere can actually pass through and reach the surface.

What factors affect the atmospheric transmittance on Venus?

The atmospheric transmittance on Venus is affected by the composition of the atmosphere, which is mostly carbon dioxide, as well as the thickness and density of the atmosphere. The presence of clouds and other particles also plays a role in the amount of solar radiation that can pass through the atmosphere.

How does atmospheric transmittance on Venus compare to other planets?

The atmospheric transmittance on Venus is much lower compared to other planets in the solar system. For example, Earth has an average atmospheric transmittance of approximately 50%, while Mars has an average of 28%. Venus' thick and dense atmosphere is the main reason for its low transmittance.

Why is understanding atmospheric transmittance on Venus important?

Understanding atmospheric transmittance on Venus is important for studying the planet's climate and temperature. It also provides insight into the amount of solar energy that is absorbed by the atmosphere and the surface, which can affect the planet's overall energy balance and potential for habitability.