Can Missing Energy Events Shed Light on Quantum Gravity and Extra Dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discussed a link found through Google about an approach to quantum gravity involving simulations at the Planck level. It also mentioned the use of computational methods and the potential for detecting extradimensional effects in experiments. The comparison between loop quantum gravity and string theory was also brought up.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i found this in my wandering in google:
http://pdg.cecm.sfu.ca/~warp/papers/essay/essay.html
can someone explain to me this approach of quantum gravity in simple terms?
i think it has to do with simulations of quantum gravity at the Planck level, am i correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
loop quantum gravity said:
i found this in my wandering in google:
http://pdg.cecm.sfu.ca/~warp/papers/essay/essay.html
can someone explain to me this approach of quantum gravity in simple terms?
i think it has to do with simulations of quantum gravity at the Planck level, am i correct?

From what I have understood it is a quantum compuational approach and you need lots of informaton computationally to describe exact the picture of what is going on GR in terms of comological events

One thing that comes to mind is LIGO analysis of the information coming from the detectors. This is a quite a store house of information that has to correspond. Many detectors(space based and Earth based) measuring for the same event detection.

http://www.supercomputingonline.com/images/displaywall.jpg

Just yesterday Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and several key partners put together a demonstration system running a real-world scientific application to produce data on one cluster, and then send the resulting data across a 10 Gigabit Ethernet connection to another cluster, where it is then rendered for visualization. Publicly proving more than switch interoperability, the demonstration was a first.

http://www.supercomputingonline.com/article.php?sid=2252

This might help get your mind around the problem? :smile:

This has been part of the question for quantum computational factors that have been very interesting for me in what is being done at PI and other places.

So this leads us to the question of how such a approach computationally help in this direction.

Introduction to Cryptology

Whether such a "quantum computer" can realistically be built with a value of L that is large enough to be of practical use is a topic of much debate. However, the mere possibility has led to an explosive renaissance of interest in the host of curious and classically counterintuitive properties associated with entangled states. Other phenomena that rely on nonlocal entanglement, such as quantum teleportation and various forms of quantum cryptography, have also been demonstrated in the laboratory

http://physicsweb.org/article/world/12/12/19/1

Last edited by a moderator:
One has to imagine the amount of energy.

How would you computationally discribe the tree structure reductionism has supplied for us to consider?

LQG comparison in Glast considerations triggered some response in my own mind, but I found limitations.

Given the dearth of knowledge about gravity in the subcentimeter range, the group is looking for any kind of deviation from expectations, not just extradimensional effects, he says. Nonetheless, the excitement about extra dimensions helps spur the group on, Price says.

If the strength of gravity takes a sharp turn upward at around 1 TeV, as the Stanford-Trieste scenario implies, an opportunity opens for testing this theory also in accelerators. Collisions at such energies could produce gravitons in large numbers, and some of these particles would immediately vanish into the extra dimensions, carrying energy with them. Experimenters would look for an unusual pattern of so-called missing energy events.

This and more subtle effects of extra dimensions could show up at existing accelerators, such as LEP and the Tevatron at Fermilab, only if the dimensions have scales nearly as big as a millimeter. The powerful LHC will greatly improve the chances for detecting missing energy events and other prominent extradimension effects.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20000219/bob1.asp

Consider the thread Marcus started here, and you will undertand the quantum issues that need a process for discerning this nature. The LQG perspective is very telling to me. They are carrying a torch in a specific area.

Strings from this perspective has to account for that missing energy :smile: Cosmologically this makes it much easier? Blackhole cosmologically or black hole in collider. It's really the same issue for strings?

Last edited:

1. What is Numerical Quantum Gravity?

Numerical Quantum Gravity is a branch of theoretical physics that aims to combine the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to develop a theory of gravity at the smallest scales.

2. How is Numerical Quantum Gravity different from other theories of gravity?

Numerical Quantum Gravity differs from other theories of gravity, such as classical Newtonian gravity and Einstein's theory of general relativity, in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

3. What are the main challenges in developing Numerical Quantum Gravity?

The main challenges in developing Numerical Quantum Gravity include reconciling the principles of quantum mechanics with general relativity, addressing the issue of singularities and infinities, and finding a way to test the theory experimentally.

4. What are the potential applications of Numerical Quantum Gravity?

If successfully developed, Numerical Quantum Gravity could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe at the smallest scales, such as the behavior of black holes and the nature of space and time.

5. What progress has been made in the field of Numerical Quantum Gravity?

Researchers have made significant progress in developing numerical simulations and computational methods to study quantum gravity, but a complete theory is still elusive and remains an active area of research in theoretical physics.