Understanding the Role and Size of Amygdala in the Brain

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
In summary, the Amygdala is a brain structure named after its almond shape and is located at the base of the brain. It is responsible for processing emotions and memory, and is roughly the size of an almond. Other brain structures, such as the hippocampus, were also named after their appearance by early anatomists.
biferi
I was on google asking what the Size is for the Amygdala and how big it is.

I can not findout anything just what it is for and what it does.

Can anyone tell me if it is about the Size of a Pea?

Biology news on Phys.org
roughly 0.7 cms,depending onb the size of pea

biferi said:
I was on google asking what the Size is for the Amygdala and how big it is.

I can not findout anything just what it is for and what it does.

Can anyone tell me if it is about the Size of a Pea?

Its actually about the size and shape of an almond. That is where the word comes from, Amygdala is greek for almond. Many brain areas got their name from early anatomists who would probe the structure without any clue as to what was what, what did what, and what what was connected to, etc. They simply looked at the crude organization and named structures after the things they looked like. Another famous example is the hippocampus, which looks like a seahorse and, infact means seahorse, again in greek I think, or Latin, those are usually the two languages they used to name these things.

FAQ: Understanding the Role and Size of Amygdala in the Brain

What is the amygdala?

The amygdala is a small, almond-shaped structure located in the temporal lobe of the brain. It is part of the limbic system and is involved in processing emotions, particularly fear and aggression.

What is the role of the amygdala in the brain?

The amygdala plays a crucial role in regulating emotions and behavior. It is responsible for processing and storing emotional memories, as well as coordinating the body's response to perceived threats or danger.

How does the size of the amygdala affect behavior?

Research has shown that individuals with larger amygdalae may have a heightened response to emotional stimuli, leading to increased emotional reactivity and potentially anxiety or mood disorders. However, the size of the amygdala is just one factor and does not solely determine behavior.

Can the size of the amygdala change?

While the size of the amygdala is largely determined by genetics, studies have shown that environmental factors, such as stress and trauma, can also affect its size. Additionally, certain experiences and therapies have been found to strengthen and even enlarge the amygdala.

What happens if the amygdala is damaged or removed?

If the amygdala is damaged or removed, individuals may have difficulty recognizing and responding to emotional stimuli. They may also struggle with regulating their emotions and behaviors, potentially leading to impulsive or inappropriate reactions. However, other brain structures such as the prefrontal cortex may compensate for the amygdala's functions to some extent.

Back