Schrodingers equation probability currents

In summary, A user is struggling with a challenging quantum mechanics problem and is asking for a hint or starting point. Another user asks for some effort to be shown before providing help. A third user points out a possible typo and suggests looking at the continuity equation to understand the problem better.
golfingboy
Hi all,

I only have a real basic knowledge of quantum mechanics and I am finding a paper that I am taking quite challenging. If it is possible for someone to give me a hint or starting point on this folowing problem that would be great.

For problem - see attachment

Thanks.

Attachments

• problem.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 221
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by writing [tex] \rho = |\psi|^2 = \psi^* \psi[/tex] and differentiating with respect to time. You will get two pieces from the product rule. Try using Schrodinger's equation on each piece to write the time derivatives in terms of spatial derivatives. Hint: you may find it useful to take the complex conjugate of the Schrodinger equation.

golfingboy said:
Hi all,

I only have a real basic knowledge of quantum mechanics and I am finding a paper that I am taking quite challenging. If it is possible for someone to give me a hint or starting point on this folowing problem that would be great.

For problem - see attachment

Thanks.
Golfingboy,

we typically require that you show some effort on your part before we can help you. Please read the guidelines or the sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum.

As for your question, it looks like there's a typo in the first line, involving the integration variable (unless P is something other than the density).

Thirdly, I hope you've come across the continuity equation in fluid mechanics or in E&M. The question loses it's zing value if the solver can not appreciate the coneection to the above.

1. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum state over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific location in space at a given time.

2. What are probability currents in Schrodinger's equation?

In Schrodinger's equation, probability currents refer to the rate at which the probability of finding a particle changes over time. They are represented by a vector quantity and can be used to determine the direction and speed of a particle's movement.

3. How are probability currents calculated in Schrodinger's equation?

Probability currents are calculated by taking the derivative of the wave function with respect to time. The wave function represents the probability amplitude of a particle, and its derivative gives the probability current at a specific point in space and time.

4. What is the significance of probability currents in Schrodinger's equation?

Probability currents play a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems. They allow us to predict the movement and behavior of particles, and they are essential for solving many quantum mechanical problems, such as the behavior of electrons in atoms.

5. Can probability currents be measured experimentally?

No, probability currents cannot be directly measured. However, their effects can be observed through experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles and the role of probability currents in determining their paths.