Calculating Resonant Frequencies of Closed Air Columns

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of frequency for resonance in a closed air column with a length of 60.0cm. The equations Ln = (2n - 1) * λ / 4 and fn = (2n - 1)f1 are mentioned, with f1 = V/4L and 4L = λ. There is confusion about the third resonant length and the textbook's provided answers for a, b, and c as 143Hz, 430Hz, and 770Hz respectively. The equations are used to calculate the frequencies and it is determined that f1 = 143Hz, f2 = 430Hz, and f3 = 770Hz.
qszwdxefc

Homework Statement

A closed air column is 60.0cm long. Calculate the frequency of the forks that will cause resonance at:

a) the first resonant length
b) the second resonant length

Note that the speed of sound is 344m/s.

Homework Equations

Ln = (2n - 1) * [tex]\lambda[/tex] / 4

fn = (2n - 1)f1, where f1 = V/4L and 4L = [tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out what the actual magnitude of the resonant length is, and don't know how to begin solving the problem.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
On the back of the page, the question additionally asks for the third resonant length.

The textbook provides answers for a, b, and c as 143Hz, 430Hz, and 770Hz respectively. When I reversed the calculations for c), they used a third resonant length of 60.0cm, which was the length of the whole air column.

I still can't figure out how they got the answers for a and b though :S.

qszwdxefc said:
On the back of the page, the question additionally asks for the third resonant length.

The textbook provides answers for a, b, and c as 143Hz, 430Hz, and 770Hz respectively. When I reversed the calculations for c), they used a third resonant length of 60.0cm, which was the length of the whole air column.

I still can't figure out how they got the answers for a and b though :S.

Perhaps I misled with my typo, though you wrote it correctly

But to state your equations again:
f1 = v/(4L)
fn = (2n - 1)*f1

4*L = 4*.6 = 2.4

f1 = 343/2.4 = 143

f2 = 3*f1

f3 = 5*f1

Makes sense, I understand now.

Thanks again :).

What is a closed air column problem?

A closed air column problem is a physics problem that involves a tube or pipe that is sealed at both ends and filled with air. The goal of the problem is to determine the fundamental frequency of the air column, which is the lowest frequency at which the air in the column can vibrate.

What factors affect the fundamental frequency of a closed air column?

The fundamental frequency of a closed air column is affected by three main factors: the length of the column, the speed of sound in the air, and the temperature of the air. As the length of the column increases, the fundamental frequency decreases. Similarly, as the speed of sound increases, the fundamental frequency also increases. Finally, as the temperature of the air increases, the speed of sound increases and therefore the fundamental frequency increases as well.

How do you calculate the fundamental frequency of a closed air column?

The fundamental frequency of a closed air column can be calculated using the formula f = v/2L, where f is the fundamental frequency, v is the speed of sound in the air, and L is the length of the column. Keep in mind that the speed of sound may vary depending on the temperature of the air.

What is the difference between a closed air column and an open air column?

A closed air column is a tube or pipe that is sealed at both ends, while an open air column is open at one end and closed at the other. In a closed air column, the air can only vibrate at certain frequencies, while in an open air column, the air can vibrate at any frequency.

What real-world applications are there for understanding closed air column problems?

Understanding closed air column problems is important in fields such as acoustics, music, and engineering. For example, understanding the fundamental frequency of a closed air column can help in designing musical instruments, such as flutes or organ pipes. It is also important in understanding the acoustics of buildings and how sound travels through different spaces.