General Forum Purpose: Exploring Cross Posting & Inclusivity

• Thread starter Vectronix
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of "general" forums is to serve as a catch-all for topics that do not fit into more specific categories. These forums are remnants of old forum structures and are meant to cover a wide range of topics. However, some users may question the necessity of these forums when there are already specific categories that cover a wide variety of topics. Still, the presence of general forums allows for discussions on topics that do not fit into any other category.
Vectronix
"general" forums

Why is there a "General" forum under each heading? Shouldn't one be able to pick and choose where their post fits best? Or is it sort of a way of avoiding crossposting? I guess I am trying to understand the purpose of general forums when the variety of specific topics seem to be all inclusive.

Physics news on Phys.org

Vectronix said:
...the purpose of general forums when the variety of specific topics seem to be all inclusive.
How could any group of specific topics be all-inclusive?

easy :)

Vectronix said:
easy :)
Name one.

OK, granted, technically "Organic Chemistry" and "Inorganic Chemistry" is all inclusive. But what if your question is about, say, valences? How could you appropriately assign your post to one of the given topics?

heh... Sorry about the vague response. I was too tired to explain, so I went to sleep. :)

Well, an example of when you look under the Physics heading, there is Classical Physics, Quantum Physics, Relativity, and Beyond the Standard Model: Professionally Researched Theories. Classical Physics is a very broad category. Quantum Physics includes both quantum mechanics and quantum field theories. Relativity includes both special and general theories. There isn't much that would fit outside of these headings... but wait! :) There is a section for professionally researched theories that go beyond the standard model. So that should cover all topics (in physics). The rest is not allowed to be discussed on these forums (free energy, pseudoscience, metaphysics, etc.).

I'm not really trying to get them to delete the general forums, as it doesn't really matter to me. I was just wondering why it's there in the first place. I guess the general math forum makes sense, since none of the others under the math heading really include arithmetic, algebra, & analytic geometry, etc.

Vectronix said:
Well, an example of when you look under the Physics heading, there is Classical Physics, Quantum Physics, Relativity, and Beyond the Standard Model: Professionally Researched Theories. Classical Physics is a very broad category. Quantum Physics includes both quantum mechanics and quantum field theories. Relativity includes both special and general theories. There isn't much that would fit outside of these headings... but wait! :) There is a section for professionally researched theories that go beyond the standard model. So that should cover all topics (in physics). The rest is not allowed to be discussed on these forums (free energy, pseudoscience, metaphysics, etc.).
Where might you put a question about the history of physics, or famous physicists?

Alternately, if this were a "WE LOVE NUMBERS" Forum, and there were two categories "ALL NUMBERS GREATER THAN 10" and "ALL NUMBERS 10 OR LESS" (thus the categories are all-inclusive) where might I post a question about fractions?

I see.

:)

1. What is the purpose of cross posting in a general forum?

Cross posting in a general forum allows for a discussion to reach a wider audience and increase the potential for diverse perspectives and insights. It also helps to connect related discussions and facilitate information sharing.

2. How can cross posting be done effectively in a general forum?

Cross posting should be done with intention and thoughtfulness. It is important to make sure the two discussions are related and provide a brief explanation or context in each post to avoid confusion. It is also helpful to link back to the original post in each cross post.

3. Is cross posting allowed in all general forums?

It ultimately depends on the rules and guidelines set by the forum moderators. Some forums may have restrictions on cross posting, while others may encourage it as a way to increase engagement and diversity of discussions.

4. How does cross posting promote inclusivity in a general forum?

Cross posting allows for a variety of voices and perspectives to be heard in a single discussion. This can lead to a more inclusive environment where diverse opinions are valued and respected.

5. What should be considered before cross posting in a general forum?

Before cross posting, it is important to consider the relevance of the discussions, the potential for overlap or duplication of information, and the impact on the community. It is also helpful to communicate with the original poster and ask for their permission before cross posting.