How do I model the falling of a skydiver using a DF?

In summary, the problem at hand involves a skydiver with initial conditions of vnot=0m/s, hnot=3000m, and tnot=0s. After 35 seconds of freefall, the chute opens. The task is to write a piece-wise defined differential equation for the rate of change of velocity, with the two pieces t<35 and t >_35. The given diagrams illustrate the different scenarios of the skydiver initially falling without a parachute and with a parachute. The three questions that arise are: 1.) How to graph both solutions without a given mass? 2.) Is the initial height used in the equation? 3.) What is the next step after solving each equation and dealing
thename1000
  • I'm given the initial conditions vnot=0m/s, hnot=3000m, and tnot=0s

After 35 seconds of freefall, the chute opens.

I am to write a piece-wise define diff equation for the rate of change of velocity, with the two pieces t<35 and t >_35.

I am not given a mass.

Now, I understand how to start at http://media.wiley.com/Lux/97/19597.nce030.jpg

And how to go to http://media.wiley.com/Lux/00/19600.nce033.jpg. (where b=k/m)

This represents the sky diver initially falling without a parachute.

And this with a chute: http://media.wiley.com/Lux/03/19603.nce036.jpg

Three questions:

1.) Since I'm not given a mass, and are supposed to graph both solutions, how do I do this?

2.) Do I use the initial height anywhere in this equation?

3.) Once I solve each equation, what do I do with the piecewise part numbers? ( t<35 and t >_35.)

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just write m in your derivations for the mass. And marvellously, m cancels out. Legend says that Galilleo dropped two different weights from a tower to demonstrate this fact that the mass doesn't matter...

1. How do I create a model of a skydiver falling using a DF?

To create a model of a skydiver falling using a DF, you will need to first understand the basic principles of physics and how forces affect an object in motion. Then, you can use the equations of motion, such as Newton's laws, to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and position of the skydiver as they fall. You can also use a computer program or simulation software to visualize and analyze the data.

2. What factors should be considered when modeling a skydiver with a DF?

When modeling a skydiver with a DF, it is important to consider factors such as air resistance, gravity, and the mass and shape of the skydiver. These factors will affect the acceleration and velocity of the skydiver as they fall, and can be incorporated into the calculations to create a more accurate model.

3. How does air resistance affect the fall of a skydiver?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and is caused by the air molecules colliding with the skydiver. As the skydiver falls, air resistance increases and eventually balances out the force of gravity, causing the skydiver to reach a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

4. Can a DF accurately model the fall of a skydiver?

Yes, a DF can accurately model the fall of a skydiver as long as all the relevant factors are taken into account and the equations of motion are applied correctly. However, there may be some discrepancies between the model and real-life data due to external factors such as wind or variations in the shape or mass of the skydiver.

5. How can I use the data from a DF model to make predictions about a skydiver's fall?

By analyzing the data from a DF model, you can make predictions about the skydiver's fall, such as their velocity and position at any given time. This can also help in making decisions about the best parachute deployment time and estimating the impact force upon landing. However, it is important to note that these predictions may vary from the actual outcome due to uncertainties in the model or external factors.