Does it matter where I get my degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student who has been accepted to the University of Western Ontario and is considering a double degree in business and mathematics. While the student is interested in abstract algebra, they are concerned about the strength of the mathematics department at UWO and how it may affect their chances of getting a job in investment banking. However, they acknowledge that their interests may change in the future.
wamozart
Hi forum,

I am a high school student who has recently been accepted to the University of Western Ontario. (UWO) My primary goal was to study pure maths at University of Waterloo and go to investment banking after Masters or Ph.D.

I have been exploring the UWO's website and soon got interested UWO's Business-Science double degree programme. Then I asked myself 'why not get a double degree in business and mathematics at UWO and work for IB firms for two years, pay for my debts and go to graduate school?'

But my concern is, it seems like UWO does not have a strong maths department as Waterloo.

However, I want to study abstract algebra at graduate school, and I highly doubt that abstract algebra is a quantitative discipline, so finance recruiters might not like that

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you tie yourself down to abstract algebra when you don't know what it's about?

It's like saying you don't like blondes when you've only ever seen brunettes...or no women at all. ;)

Yes, I do realize that it is too early to narrow it down. I may change my mind, get interested in differential equations or statistics, and pursue it further. In that case, I wouldn't worry about getting a job in finance. But now I am considering any possibility that is likely to happen in my future.

Last edited:
wamozart said:
But now I am considering any possibility that is likely to happen in my future.

Good luck with that. :cool:

I would say that the reputation and quality of the university from which you receive your degree can have an impact on your future career opportunities. However, it is not the only factor that matters. Your skills, experience, and personal drive also play a significant role in your success.

In terms of your specific situation, it is important to consider the strengths and resources of the university you are considering for your degree in mathematics. While the University of Waterloo may be known for its strong mathematics program, the University of Western Ontario may have other unique opportunities that can benefit you, such as the Business-Science double degree program you mentioned. It is also worth looking into the faculty and research opportunities in the mathematics department at UWO to see if they align with your interests in abstract algebra.

Additionally, it is important to remember that mathematics is a highly transferable skill, and a degree from any reputable university can provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in abstract algebra or other quantitative disciplines. It is also possible to gain experience in abstract algebra through independent study or research projects, even if it is not a primary focus at your undergraduate institution.

Ultimately, your choice of university should be based on a combination of factors, including your academic and career goals, the opportunities available at the institution, and your personal preferences. With determination and hard work, you can achieve your goals regardless of where you receive your degree.

1. Does the reputation of the university matter for my degree?

Yes, the reputation of the university can play a significant role in the value of your degree. Employers often consider the prestige and ranking of a university when evaluating job candidates. A degree from a well-respected institution can also open up more opportunities for graduate studies or research positions.

2. Will getting my degree from an online program hold the same weight as a traditional on-campus program?

In most cases, yes. As long as the online program is accredited and recognized by employers and other academic institutions, the degree should hold the same weight as a traditional on-campus program. However, it's important to do thorough research on the program's accreditation and reputation before enrolling.

3. Is it better to attend a well-known university or one that specializes in my field of study?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Attending a well-known university can provide a broader education and potentially open up more job opportunities. However, a university that specializes in your field of study may offer more in-depth and specialized education, which can be beneficial in certain industries.

4. Do employers care where I got my degree?

Again, it depends on the employer and industry. Some employers may place more importance on the reputation of the university, while others may prioritize skills, experience, and personal qualities. It's important to showcase your strengths and how your degree has prepared you for the specific job or industry you are applying to.

5. Are degrees from private universities more valuable than those from public universities?

Not necessarily. While private universities may have a higher tuition cost and smaller class sizes, the value of a degree ultimately depends on the individual's academic performance and the reputation of the university. Some employers may value a degree from a public university over a private one, and vice versa. It's important to focus on your own academic achievements and the reputation of the specific university, rather than generalizing based on public or private status.