Engineering Mechanics vs Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing engineering mechanics as a program, and compares it to mechanical engineering in terms of job prospects, theoretical vs industry work, and popularity. The speaker suggests that a normal engineering degree may be a better option due to its versatility, and questions the benefits of studying engineering mechanics over a traditional engineering program.
Ishida52134
I'm primarily interested in engineering mechanics because I like the narrowness of the program to classical mechanics rather than a broad range of subjects including other areas of physics as well.
My only concern is the job availability. What are the pro's and con's to engineering mechanics and mechanical engineering in terms of job prospects?
And because engineering mechanics is more theoretical which would mostly lead to research, what are the pro's and con's of research vs industry work?
And also, is engineering mechanics a dying program, because it is not as popular in comparison to others such as physicists.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just do mechanical engineering if you're interested in industry - it's all the "other" areas that'll help you get employed with a mechanical engineering degree.

what if you want to learn more about mechanics?

Then you can go to the library and read a book.

what would a researcher aim to do in contrast to an engineer.

In industry or academia?

Usually a PhD is a requirement for research roles, but I think you'd be getting away with yourself on planning a PhD before you've even started your undergrad. I think that with your undergrad you should do something that keeps as much doors open as possible and an ordinary mechanical engineering degree does that perfectly.

Are there any benefits to doing engineering mechanics instead.

are there fields with classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

I personally can't see any benefit to doing engineering mechanics instead of a normal engineering degree.

What is the difference between Engineering Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering?

Engineering Mechanics is a branch of engineering that focuses on the application of mechanical principles to solve engineering problems, while Mechanical Engineering is a broader discipline that encompasses the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. In other words, Engineering Mechanics is a subset of Mechanical Engineering.

What are the main areas of study in Engineering Mechanics?

The main areas of study in Engineering Mechanics include statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, and fluid mechanics. These areas cover topics such as forces, motion, stress and strain, and the behavior of fluids in various systems.

What are the job opportunities for graduates in Engineering Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering?

Graduates in Engineering Mechanics can pursue careers as structural engineers, materials scientists, or aerospace engineers, among others. Mechanical Engineering graduates can work in fields such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing industries, as well as research and development.

Is a degree in Engineering Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering more valuable?

Both degrees have their own value and offer unique opportunities. A degree in Engineering Mechanics may be more suitable for those interested in research and analysis, while a degree in Mechanical Engineering may be more applicable for those interested in product design and development.

Can someone with a degree in Engineering Mechanics work as a Mechanical Engineer?

Yes, someone with a degree in Engineering Mechanics can work as a Mechanical Engineer. However, they may need additional training or experience in specific areas to work in certain industries. It is always beneficial to have a well-rounded education and skill set in both disciplines.