What are the SU groups? I.e SU(2), SU(3)?

• Thread starter RyanTG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, SU(3) is a group of matrices that conserve the inner product of 3-component complex vectors. This is why unitary groups are important in quantum mechanics - they preserve certain properties of particles.
RyanTG
I'm revising for my introductory particle physics exam and I've noticed SU(3) pop up a few times, it was never really explained and I don't really understand what it means.

For example when talking about the conservation law of Colour, it says the symmetry is phase invariance under SU(3) group of QCD. What does that mean?

I don't think I'll be rigorously examined on this but I'd like to be able to have a basic understanding of what it means and the ramifications of it.

So if anyone could explain it and why that means for me at the moment in particle physics, that would be tremendously helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTG said:
I'm revising for my introductory particle physics exam and I've noticed SU(3) pop up a few times, it was never really explained and I don't really understand what it means.

For example when talking about the conservation law of Colour, it says the symmetry is phase invariance under SU(3) group of QCD. What does that mean?

I don't think I'll be rigorously examined on this but I'd like to be able to have a basic understanding of what it means and the ramifications of it.

So if anyone could explain it and why that means for me at the moment in particle physics, that would be tremendously helpful!

SU stands for "Special Unitary".

If you have a matrix [itex]A[/itex], it is "unitary" if [itex]A^\dagger A = I[/itex], where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity matrix. A "special unitary" matrix has the additional constraint that [itex]det(A) = 1[/itex]

Last edited:
A somewhat similar group is the SO(3), one representation of which are the 3d rotation matrices and which can be parametrized with Euler angles. Here the "O" means that the matrices in the representation are orthogonal and the "S" that their determinant has value 1 (the operations involve only rotation, not reflections).

Appending on the above:

SU(3) specifically means the group of 3x3 complex matrices who's Hermitian adjoint is its own inverse (##A^\dagger=A^{-1}##). These matrices conserve the inner product of 3-component complex vectors. Given two 3 component complex column vectors ##x## and ##y##, their inner product ##x_1^*y_1+x_2^*y_2+x_3^*y_3## is constant under the transformation ##x'=Ax## and ##y'=Ay## for ##A\in SU(3)##.

This property of preserving the inner product is why we like unitary groups in quantum mechanics. It is also the property that makes SU(3) similar to SO(3) since SO(3) does the same for 3-component real vectors. But I should warn you that looking beyond this simple analogy, the two groups SU(3) and SO(3) are quite different both algebraically and topologically. SU(3) has 8 dimensions (spanned for example by the 8 Gell-Mann matrices) while SO(3) is of dimension 3.

We should remember that SU(2) is a double cover of SO(3). Simply speaking there are 2 different instances of an SU(2) value that give you an equivalent of an SO(3) value. This is because of the characteristics of rotating an object modeled in SU(2) differs from rotating an object in SO(3).

Pauli originally developed the handling of "spin" using SU(2) matrices. Standard QM requires only SU(2) modeling while QCD requires SU(3) as you mention RyanTG.

This should help in explaining the mathematics of how the "physics of a particle in a field is invariant under certain local transformations of the phase" in SU(1) and SU(2):

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=136

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of SU in SU(2) and SU(3)?

SU stands for Special Unitary, which is a type of mathematical group used in theoretical physics and quantum mechanics. It describes the symmetries of physical systems and is important in understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How many dimensions do SU groups have?

SU groups have a finite number of dimensions, which is determined by the number in the subscript of the group. For example, SU(2) has 2 dimensions and SU(3) has 3 dimensions.

3. What is the significance of SU groups in physics?

SU groups are significant in physics because they are the symmetry groups that describe the fundamental forces of nature. For example, SU(2) is used to describe the weak nuclear force and SU(3) is used to describe the strong nuclear force.

4. How are SU groups related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is based on the use of SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) symmetry groups. These groups describe the fundamental particles and their interactions, providing a framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy.

5. Can SU groups be applied in other areas besides physics?

Yes, SU groups have applications in other fields such as mathematics, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to describe the symmetries of various systems and can provide insights into their properties and behaviors.