Exploring Spin, Symmetry, and SUSY in Particle Physics

In summary: The weak isospin symmetry imposes the condition that the left and right must have the same mass and the same charge.So, for example, under the U(1) symmetry, a left and right muon will have the same mass and the same charge, but they will have different spin (muon has spin-0 while the right muon has spin-1). Under the SU(2) symmetry, they will have the same mass and the same spin (muon has spin-1/2 while the right muon has spin-1).There are different particles associated with each symmetry, but each symmetry only has one possible spin
friend
I'm wondering how the spin of a particle, whether a particle is a fermion or a boson... how does this relate to the symmetry of a particle, U(1) or SU(2) or SU(3)? I'm trying to understand SUSY in relation to the other internal symmetries? Is there spin 1/2 and spin 1 particles associated with each of the symmetries U(1) or SU(2) or SU(3)? Or does each symmetry only have one possible spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there spin 1/2 and spin 1 particles associated with each of the symmetries

seems so,yes...

This comes from THE Lisa Randall [Harvard] book, WARPED PASSAGES, [2005], Chapter 19, Supersymmetry

Supersymmetry ...is a transformation that interchanges bosons and fermions...It is still hypothetical...Every known particle is paired with it's superartner...with which it is interchanged by a supersymmetry transformation...the objects that it interchanges clearly have different properties...the symmetry can exist if the bosons and fermions are present in equal numbers...the paired bosons and fermions must have the same mass and charge as each other...if a boson experiences strong interactions so does its supersymmetric partner...

also, more generally:

...If confirmed it will be the first new spacetime symmetry found in almost a century...just knowing that supersymmetry exchanges particles of different spin is enough to deduce a connection. Because their spins are different, bosons and fermions transform differently when they rotate in space. Supersymmetry transformations must involve space and time in order to compensate for this distinction...don't think you can picture this in physical space..physicsts understand supersymmetry only in terms of its mathematical description...

I'm no QM particle physics person, but if you are, the Randall book has gobs and gobs and gobs of detailed particle physics stuff neatly explained, no math. Used copies usually available on Amazon or your favorite source.

I believe that U(1) symmetry leads to the electromagnetic field. All charged particles have this type of symmetry. SO(3) symmetry is normal rotational symmetry, a property shared by all bosons (having integer spin). SU(2) is the symmetry of fermions (spin 1/2). Finally, SU(3) is the symmetry of particles having "color"; i.e., quarks. Some particles have more than one type of symmetry. Quarks have U(1), SU(2) and SU(3) symmetries.

Generally when you talk about "spin" you referre to SU(2) symmetry of a particle. When you say that a particle have 1/2 spin you mean that this particular particle transform under the fundamental representation of SU(2). This is a two dimensional representation and, in fact, a spin 1/2 particle can be represented by a vector:

$$ \chi=\alpha\binom{1}{0}+\beta\binom{0}{1} $$

and it can be transformed under SU(2) with the two dimensional fundamental representation.
When you talk about a spin 1 particle, instead, you referre to a particle that transform under the adjoint representation of SU(2) which is a three dimensional one. And so on: spin 3/2 particle transform under a four dimensional representation of SU(2), ecc.

So when you talk about spin 1/2, 1, ... you referre only to SU(2) symmetry.

U(1) and SU(3) symmetries are referred to other degrees of freedom. As cygnet1 said, U(1) is the symmetry of em interaction (i.e. the quantum number associated is the electric charge), while SU(3) is the symmetry of color.

Einj said:
So when you talk about spin 1/2, 1, ... you referre only to SU(2) symmetry.

Thank you. That's very clear. OK, so... there are many "representations" of the SU(2) symmetry. Is there one particular to the SM? And if so, does that limit spins to fermions or boson? Thank you.

friend said:
I'm wondering how the spin of a particle, whether a particle is a fermion or a boson... how does this relate to the symmetry of a particle, U(1) or SU(2) or SU(3)? I'm trying to understand SUSY in relation to the other internal symmetries? Is there spin 1/2 and spin 1 particles associated with each of the symmetries U(1) or SU(2) or SU(3)? Or does each symmetry only have one possible spin?

Yes, it is just like that. There exist a particle type for each representation of the symmetry group of the universe. They are different representations (homomorphism images) of the same group, though.

The U(1) representation represents scalar (spin-0) particles. The SU(2) represents both vector (spin-1) and scalar (spin-0) particles. Higher groups describe particles of all lower spins. To exclude the lower spin particles, you must impose additional conditions.

Bosons are associated with standard (vector-like) representations of the symmetry group. Fermions are associated with so called spin representations.

friend said:
Is there one particular to the SM? And if so, does that limit spins to fermions or boson? Thank you.

Actually when you talk about SU(2) in the SM you are not referring to the symmetry that leads to spin. The SU(2) in SM is called "weak isospin". The mathematical threatment is exactly the same of the spin (it's the same group) but the physical meaning is different.

In SM there are two different kind of fundamental particle. The "left" particles (i.e. with left handed chirality) and the "right" particles. Left particles form isospin doublets (they have 1/2 weak isospin just like electrons have 1/2 spin) and so transform with the fundamental representation of SU(2)[itex]_{weak}[/itex]. On the other hand right particle form isospin singlet and so they tranform under the identity representation.

I'm not really sure but I guess that composed particle could form multiplets that transform under higher representation.

According to the chart on the link below, all symmetries are involved with spin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model

Click on the "Field Content" in the table of contents.

Can I conclude from this that spin is independent of whether the particle belongs to the symmetry of U(1), or SU(2), or SU(3)?

The SM has space-time symmetry as well as internal symmetry. Poincare group, [itex]SL(2,C)\odot T(4)[/itex], which is a spacetime symmetry, assigns SPIN and MASS to the particles. [itex]U(1)\times SU(2) \times SU(3)[/itex], which is the internal symmetry of the SM, gives rise to different CHARGES.

Sam

1. What is spin in particle physics?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles in quantum mechanics that determines how they interact with other particles and how they move through space. It is often described as the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle.

2. What is symmetry in particle physics?

Symmetry is a fundamental concept in particle physics that describes how particles and their interactions are invariant under certain transformations. This allows for predicting the properties and behavior of particles based on the symmetries they exhibit.

3. What is SUSY in particle physics?

SUSY (Supersymmetry) is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes the existence of a supersymmetric partner for each known particle. It is a symmetry between fermions and bosons, which could help explain the hierarchy problem and provide a candidate for dark matter.

4. How is spin, symmetry, and SUSY explored in particle physics?

Spin, symmetry, and SUSY are explored in particle physics through experiments, theoretical models, and simulations. Scientists use high-energy particle accelerators to collide particles and observe their interactions, as well as analyze the data collected to test different theories and models.

5. What is the significance of exploring spin, symmetry, and SUSY in particle physics?

Exploring spin, symmetry, and SUSY in particle physics is crucial for understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe and their interactions. It also helps scientists to develop new theories and models that can potentially explain unanswered questions in physics, such as the origin of mass and the nature of dark matter.