Electrophilic addition, elimination and stuff like that

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with chemistry assignments. They provide a list of questions and their own attempts at answering them. The other person suggests reagents that could be used for certain transformations, and discusses the formation of different compounds through various reactions and mechanisms. They also mention the use of sodium dichromate and BH3 in THF for specific reactions. The conversation ends with the person requesting more clarification and help on the remaining questions.
Lisa...
Hi!

I've made the following assignments and I'll appreciate it if anybody of you can help me with them and correct me if my answer is wrong. Thanks a lot!

A) Provide reagents that could be used to effect the transformation of 'Stof A' to each of the following compounds (1-5):

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7635/vraag3vf1.th.gif

I thought the answers are:

1) HBr : direct electrophilic addition
2) I don't know
3) water: direct electrophilic addition
4) HCl en NaOHwater: first HCl reacts in an electrophilic addition , then OH- does a nucleophillic addition
5) I don't know (perhaps something with epoxides?)

B) 1) What other compounds might be formed by the double dehydrohalogenation of a vicinal dibromide?

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6725/vraag4di4.th.gif

My guess isk: cis-dibromobut-2-ene, but I've also read somewhate that NH2- (a strong base) could pluck a H somewhere, and then Na will attach to the molecule on the H's place. Is that possible? Can Na attach to the end of an alkene or to the end of the alkyn?

2) Can you think of a vicinal dibromide for which formation of an alkyne might be highly unfavorable?

If C-H and C-Br are syn periplanair in the alkene (the intermediate), then that would be unfavorable, so I thought of:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1361/vraag4bdu5.th.gif

C) Write a detailed mechanism for each of the following reactions. Explain any relevant regio- or stereochemistry

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7089/vraag5jz7.th.gif

a) regioselective process: the H can attach to the other C in the double bond, but that would not happen cause it would yield a primary instable carbocation.

b)? Perhaps a polymerization?

d)? I don't know how this molecule behaves in electrophillic addition.

e) stereoselective: the other Cl ion can only attack from the backside of the ring.

f) stereoselective: because the C-O bonds are formed on the side of the alkene's pi bonds. Is that correct?

g)? I don't know

D) Hydroboration- oxidation of an alkyne proceeds through the same syn addition mechanism as for an alkene. The C-B bond of the resulting vinyl borane is also replaced with retention of configuration in the oxidation step. Form what you know about the mechanism of hydroboration- oxidation of alkenes, what products will be formed by hydroboration-oxidation of the following compounds? (Hint: recall that enols tautomerize easily to carbonyl compounds!)

a) 3-hexyne
b) phenylacetylene
c) 1-hexyne

I've never heard of this type of reaction actually..

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the second one of part A: if you get an alcohol functional on the carbon you need the ketone on you can oxidize the alcohol into a ketone with sodium dichromate in sulfuric acid. [ie you can go from part 5 of a to part 2 of a] To get that alcohol for part 5 one would need to resonate the double bond into the ring and use an epoxide or a two part reaction of 1) BH3 in THF 2) H2O2. This would create the correct stereochemistry across the bond.

Could you please explain how to resonate the double bond into the ring
in part A5 and how BH3 & H2O2 would react, because I can't find it in my literature.

To get part A2, isn't a keto-enol tautomerization a possibility?

Could you please help me with the other questions, cause I really don't have a clue!

1. What is electrophilic addition?

Electrophilic addition is a type of reaction in organic chemistry where a molecule with a double bond or triple bond (pi bond) reacts with an electrophile, which is a species that is electron deficient. The pi bond is broken and two new single bonds are formed, resulting in an addition product.

2. How does electrophilic addition differ from nucleophilic addition?

Electrophilic addition involves the addition of an electrophile to a pi bond, while nucleophilic addition involves the addition of a nucleophile to an electrophilic center. In electrophilic addition, the pi bond is broken and two new single bonds are formed, while in nucleophilic addition, a new bond is formed between the nucleophile and the electrophilic center.

3. What is an elimination reaction?

An elimination reaction is a type of reaction in organic chemistry where a molecule loses atoms or groups of atoms to form a double bond or triple bond. This can happen in two ways: E1 and E2. In E1, the reaction proceeds through the formation of a carbocation intermediate, while in E2, the reaction occurs through the concerted removal of a proton and a leaving group.

4. What is the difference between E1 and E2 elimination reactions?

E1 and E2 elimination reactions both involve the loss of atoms or groups of atoms to form a double bond or triple bond. However, E1 reactions proceed through the formation of a carbocation intermediate, while E2 reactions occur through the concerted removal of a proton and a leaving group. E1 reactions are typically favored in the presence of a weak base, while E2 reactions are favored in the presence of a strong base.

5. How does electrophilic addition and elimination reactions play a role in organic synthesis?

Electrophilic addition and elimination reactions are important tools in organic synthesis, as they allow for the creation of new bonds and functional groups. These reactions can be used to build complex molecules from simpler starting materials, and are essential in the production of pharmaceuticals, materials, and other important compounds.