How should i do things liek this?

• Thread starter pakmingki
  • Start date
In summary: Microsoft.In summary, the person is looking for ways to simplify various tasks on their computer without having to learn new programming languages. They mention using Tcl and Python as two possible options, but also mention other languages such as C++ and Visual Basic. They also mention using batch files and Microsoft's free programming tools.
pakmingki
IM looking for a way to write programs, or maybe "script" is abetter word, to perform certain "chores" on my computer.

Let me give you a few examples.

My desktop is constantly cluttered with random ****.
Video files, text files, music files, html documents, etc ...

I want to write a program that when i execute it, it goes through my desktop, and puts all the files into certain folders i indicate.

And also, i want to organize many text files. Like, for school related ****, let's say i tag them with something liek "sr" which stands for school related.

So i change the file name of let's say "history essay.rtf" to "sr history essay.rtf" so when i run the program it puts tagged documents like that into a separate folder for school related stuff.

Another thing is, ts annoying for me to check my emails. I would like to write another program, so when i execute it, it goes into my email, copies the first 5 email messages and the sender, and pastes it into a text document, so instead of checking my email, i can simply execute a program and read emails in a text document.

Also, in relation to email ****, i would like to make another program that when i execute it, it reads a textfile containing email addresses, subject lines, and the actual message (which i would write myself), and sends the email off without me ever ahving to log into my email.

also, when i say "run" the programs, i want it to be so when i click it, one of those black command boxes comes up (liek when you open .bat things) just quit right after its done. So everything i want is done with one double click.

so, my question is, how would i go about making these types of programs or scripts or whatever the word is. I am not asking anyone to write these for me, just what would be the best languages to use.

I took computer programming 4 years ago in high school, and i was exposed to visual basic.

thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Tcl ("tickle") is a common scripting language. I've used it for production-level manufacturing test programs in the past. The learning curve is not bad, and there are lots of web resources to help out:

Free Download: http://tcl.activestate.com/software/tcltk/downloadnow83.html

Wiki for help: http://wiki.tcl.tk/

Others like Python better than Tcl (chroot especially). A quick google search should get you to Python download and help sites.

Have fun!

I don't even want to imagine how painful it would be write a web-browser or POP3 component in TCL. In fact, I wouldn't even bother trying.

In Python, you should be able to get a web-based email client running in a couple dozen lines using the mechanize module, or a POP3 client running in a couple dozen lines with the http://docs.python.org/lib/pop3-example.html module.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
how about doing this in something like c++ or visual basic?
Cause i can get an educational copy of visual studio.net for 10 dollars at my high school.

Much of these tasks are simple enough that you're better off using simple VBScript, run through the Windows Scripting Host (if you're running Windows).

For example, create a file test.vbs with the following contents:
Code:
MsgBox "Hello World"

And double-click to run (no compiling required)...
There are plenty of samples on the web since VBS is used commonly by Network Admins for automation and logon scripts, etc.
Here's one for moving files:
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine36.htm

You can also use batch files for simpler tasks such as delete/create/move files, run programs, without a lot of logic (if statements, loops, etc)

For the email portion i suggest setting up an email program to get your email (i.e Microsoft Outlook) since it does exactly what you described.

FYI, you can get a beta release of Visual Studio codename Orcas (the coming VS release) for free from Microsoft, which, like Visual Studio 2005, is much superior to Visual Studio .NET and highly recommended.
You can also get free express editions of Visual C#, VB.NET... etc.

1. How should I approach a new experiment?

The first step is to clearly define your research question and hypothesis. Then, gather all necessary materials and design a detailed experimental procedure. Make sure to control for all variables and have a plan for collecting and analyzing data.

2. How can I ensure accuracy and reliability in my results?

To ensure accuracy, carefully follow your experimental procedure and take multiple measurements. To ensure reliability, repeat your experiment multiple times and compare results. Additionally, using proper statistical analysis can help determine the significance of your results.

3. How should I present my findings?

Your findings should be presented in a clear and organized manner, using graphs, tables, and figures to visually represent your data. Make sure to also provide a detailed explanation of your results and their significance in relation to your research question.

4. How should I handle unexpected results?

Unexpected results are common in scientific experiments and can provide valuable insights. It is important to analyze and interpret these results carefully, and consider potential factors that may have influenced them. If necessary, repeat the experiment or adjust the experimental design to better understand the unexpected results.

5. How can I improve my experimental design?

To improve your experimental design, consider feedback from peers and mentors, and continue to refine your research question and hypothesis. Additionally, staying up-to-date on current scientific literature and techniques can help inform and improve your experimental design.