Finding the upward force acting on an object

• Thread starter shootingrubbe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a spaceship with a mass of 2.0 x 10⁶ kg is accelerating upwards with an acceleration of 0.50g. Using the equation Fnet = ma, the upward force exerted by the spaceship is found to be 2.9 * 10⁷ N. This is due to the combination of the spaceship's acceleration and the force of gravity acting on it. The force of gravity is found to be 19600000 N, which is half of the upward force exerted. Therefore, the final result is 9800000 N [up] for the net force.
shootingrubbe

Homework Statement

A spaceship is accelerating upwards with an acceleration of 0.50g. It's mass is 2.0 x 10⁶ kg. What is the upward force this object is exerting?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fnet = Sum of all forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

A = 4.9 m/s² [up]
g = 9.8 m/s² [down]
m = 2.0*10⁶ kg.

I plugged it into the Fnet = ma. So:
Fnet = (2.0*10⁶ kg)(4.9 m/s² [up])
= 9800000 N [up]

Then, I found the force of gravity acting on the object... It just would be 2(9800000 N) because the acceleration I just used was half that of gravity. The force of gravity acting on the object would be 19600000 N [down].

So: Fnet = Fup + Fg
9800000 N = Fup +(-19600000 N)
9800000 N = Fup - 19600000 N
Fup = 9800000 N + 19600000 N
= 29400000 N [up]
= 2.9 * 10⁷ N [up]

Can anyone let me know if I did this correctly or if I am totally off?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are using the word upward I would have to agree that gravity is involved.

If it is moving against gravity, then isn't it simply

F = m*a = m*(g + .5g) = 3/2*m*g ?

This apparently agrees with your result.

Your solution is correct! You correctly used the equation Fnet = ma to find the net force acting on the object, which in this case is equal to the upward force since the object is accelerating upwards. You then correctly found the force of gravity acting on the object, which is equal to its weight. Finally, you used the fact that the net force is equal to the sum of all forces to find the upward force, which is equal to the net force minus the force of gravity. Good job!

1. What is the upward force acting on an object?

The upward force acting on an object is the force that pushes or pulls an object in the opposite direction of gravity, causing it to move upwards.

2. How do you calculate the upward force acting on an object?

The upward force acting on an object can be calculated by multiplying the object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect the upward force on an object?

The upward force on an object is affected by the object's mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and any additional forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or friction.

4. How does the angle of an object affect the upward force?

The angle of an object can affect the upward force by changing the direction of the force. If the object is at an angle, the upward force may be split into both a vertical and horizontal component.

5. What is the importance of finding the upward force acting on an object?

Finding the upward force acting on an object is important because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of the object. It also helps us determine the amount of force needed to lift or move the object, as well as how much weight the object can support.