How to find the spec for a bend in a coil

• Thread starter 05657873
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bend Coil
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on determining acceptable bends in wound wire coils, which are welded to a tube. They are unsure how to determine what is an acceptable bend given the natural tendency of coils to bend. Suggestions include considering the application and how the part may react under load.
Howdy folks,
I'm having trouble finding a spec for bends in wound wire i.e. a coil.
For example if you take the coil, say 150mm long and roll it on a flat surface and it deflects from the table in places (wiggles), how does one possibly determine what is an acceptable bend and what isn't? It is welded to a tube, which has a max bend spec of 1mm but its in a coils nature to bend so I am confused. Some are poker straight and some are 'wavy'. Any ideas would be much appreciated,
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It might help if you told us what this part is or does.

Depending on the application, one way to decide might be if it buckles when loaded in compression. Small wiggles should straighten out when it's loaded, but if it's deformed badly enough it might get worse under load and fold in half.

1. What is a bend in a coil?

A bend in a coil refers to a change in the direction or curvature of the coil. This can occur at any point along the coil, resulting in a deviation from its original shape.

2. How do I determine the specifications for a bend in a coil?

The specifications for a bend in a coil can be determined by measuring the angle of the bend, the radius of the curvature, and the distance between the ends of the bend. These measurements can then be used to calculate the length, diameter, and pitch of the coil.

3. What factors can affect the specifications for a bend in a coil?

The specifications for a bend in a coil can be affected by the material and thickness of the coil, the type of bending process used, and the intended purpose of the coil. Other factors such as temperature and pressure may also play a role in determining the specifications for a bend in a coil.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of the specifications for a bend in a coil?

To ensure the accuracy of the specifications for a bend in a coil, it is important to use precise measuring tools and follow standardized procedures for bending the coil. It may also be helpful to consult with experienced professionals or conduct tests to verify the specifications.

5. Can the specifications for a bend in a coil be modified?

Yes, the specifications for a bend in a coil can be modified to meet specific requirements. This can be achieved by adjusting the bending process, using different materials, or altering the dimensions of the coil. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on the overall functionality and performance of the coil before making any modifications.