Heat transfer/cooling problem (multilayers)

• Thread starter spudsquad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the boss left me with a problem to solve that seems to be slightly beyond my knowledge so far. The whole problem is too long but here is the part i am stuck on. I need to find out how long before the fiberglass is 300F. I have looked up specific heats, thermal conductivities, and all the dimensions, but I am having trouble even just finding the when the PVC will be 300F. This is my first post on the forum and would really appreciate any tips on the method to solve this, or if i even have enough information. Thanks.
spudsquad
i am a sophomore and just started my first co-op and the boss left me with this problem to solve that seems to be slightly beyond my knowledge so far. The whole problem is too long but here is the part i am stuck on.

I have a sample material that is being made and fed out of a machine, so it is infinitely long. The sample looks like this:
sample.jpg

it comes out at a temperature of 450F, and into a tank that is 65 degrees F.
What i need to find is how long before the fiberglass is 300F.

I have looked up specific heats, thermal conductivities, and all the dimensions.

I am having trouble even just finding the when the PVC will be 300F, i have read for hours online for ways to do this and can't seem to find a similar problem. This is my first post on the forum and would really appreciate any tips on the method to solve this, or if i even have enough information.
thanks.

attempts:
- i tried Newtons law of cooling and the conduction equation. the main problem i keep having is that all the formulas are dependent on difference in temperature and the temperature for both the acrylic and pvc are constantly changing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Newtons law cooling should be the way to go, but it is a differential equation, and needs to be solved accordingly.

Have you had a course in differential equations?

If not, then you should approach your boss or one of the engineers, and ask about borrowing a intro Differential equation text, such as Boyce and DiPrima. They may be willing to get you started.

A common example problem is that of controlling temperature in a house with multilayed insulation. This should be of interest to you.

thanks for the reply.
i had a differential equations class and know how to solve a simple two body Newton cooling problem. But the problem that i have run into is that the cooling between air and the acrylic depend on difference in temperature, but the temperature of the acrylic is losing energy to the air but in turn will then gain energy from the pvc which is still at a higher temperature. Also i do not have another time and temperature to solve for k.

That is why I referred you to an example of a wall with multilayers of insulation, you need to set up a statement of the heat equation in each region with approbriate boundary condtions at the layer interfaces. Use Newtons Law of cooling as the heat loss boundary condition with the water.

A quick search on Google suggests the PVC would be molten at 450F and solidified at 300F.

If that's true, your problem is WAY more complicated than solving the diffusion equation for heat conduction in a solid. I think the only practical way to go would be use a computer model.

Since apparently there is a void in the center I think it is safe to assume that the PVC is solid or very nearly, or it would not hold the shape. Naturally any phase changes will complicate things a lot.

Integral said:
Since apparently there is a void in the center I think it is safe to assume that the PVC is solid or very nearly, or it would not hold the shape. Naturally any phase changes will complicate things a lot.

http://www.matweb.com/reference/deflection-temperature.asp says the MP of acrylic is 130C (266F)

http://www.dynalabcorp.com/technical_info_pvc.asp the MP of PVC is 80C (176F).

Something must be wrong somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've dropped the problem, but i appreciate the advice.
Clearly he didn't think the problem through before he gave me the numbers, or severely over estimated the abilities of a second year student.

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference. It is important because it is involved in many natural processes and plays a critical role in various industrial processes such as refrigeration, heating, and cooling.

2. How does heat transfer occur in multilayers?

In multilayer systems, heat transfer occurs through conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between layers, convection involves the movement of heat through fluid motion, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect heat transfer in multilayers?

Several factors can affect heat transfer in multilayers, including the thermal conductivity of the materials, the thickness and number of layers, the temperature difference between layers, and the presence of any barriers or insulating materials.

4. How can heat transfer be optimized in multilayer systems?

To optimize heat transfer in multilayers, it is important to choose materials with high thermal conductivity and to reduce the thickness of the layers as much as possible. Additionally, using insulating materials between layers and minimizing temperature differences between layers can also improve heat transfer efficiency.

5. What are some common applications of heat transfer in multilayers?

Heat transfer in multilayers is used in a variety of applications, including in building insulation, thermal packaging for food and pharmaceuticals, electronic cooling systems, and solar panels. It is also essential in many industrial processes, such as chemical reactors, heat exchangers, and cryogenic systems.