PreParation in physics and chemistry before uni?

In summary, there are multiple options available for taking additional courses to gain a better understanding of subjects such as physics, chemistry, and math. These options include taking classes at a local college or university, enrolling in online courses, pursuing a supplemental program offered by the IB, or taking advanced placement or honors courses at your high school. It is important to choose courses that align with your goals and will prepare you for higher education.
Le_nik
Hi guys.

To explain my situation at first a little bit, I just graduated high school from the IB diploma program. I more or less had no other option than to take 6 subjects. Since it was not possible to take all science subjects I chose to finish the IB with only biology and do physics and chemistry after graduation, and maybe read up my standard level math to higher level.

So what my question is, where and how should I apply to these courses for me to get the best understanding of the subject, but also being able to get into good universities. If we take Oxford or Cambridge as an extreme norm (or even unis outside of the uk), would a 4th year of high school courses be better than taking these courses at another uni for example? If high school, then should I use the English system, the IB or could I even do it in Sweden for example? What option would give me the most and best choices?

Thanks for answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a variety of options available to you when it comes to taking additional courses in order to gain a better understanding of subjects such as physics, chemistry and math. Depending on your individual goals, you may want to consider taking classes at a local college or university, or even enrolling in an online course. Taking classes in person allows you to have the benefit of direct instruction from professors, as well as the chance to interact with peers. Online courses can provide more flexibility in terms of scheduling but may not be as comprehensive.Another option may be to pursue a supplemental program offered by the IB. The IB offers a Science Supplement program which allows students to take additional courses in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). This program is designed to give students an opportunity to gain further knowledge in these areas, and can be tailored to meet individual needs and interests.Finally, depending on your locale, you may be able to take additional courses through your local high school. Many schools offer advanced placement or honors courses in various subjects that can help provide a deeper understanding of certain topics. It’s best to check with your school to see what options they may have available. No matter which route you choose to pursue, it’s important to make sure that you’re taking classes that will help you achieve your goals and prepare you for higher education. Good luck!

I can understand your concerns about preparation in physics and chemistry before entering university. It is great that you have chosen to continue your education in these subjects after high school, as they are essential for many scientific fields and can open up a wide range of opportunities for you.

In terms of where and how to apply for these courses, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. If you are aiming for top universities like Oxford or Cambridge, it may be beneficial to take these courses at a prestigious institution. However, it is also important to consider the quality of education and resources available at the institution you choose.

If you have the option, it may be helpful to take these courses at a university that offers a strong science program with experienced professors and well-equipped laboratories. This will not only provide you with a solid foundation in physics and chemistry, but also give you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and conduct research in these fields.

If you are considering taking these courses in a different country, it is important to research the specific requirements and curriculum of the universities you are interested in. Some may prefer the English system, while others may accept the IB or even courses taken in another country.

Ultimately, the option that will give you the most and best choices is the one that aligns with your goals and allows you to develop a strong understanding of physics and chemistry. I would recommend reaching out to universities and speaking with academic advisors to gather more information and make an informed decision. Good luck in your studies!

1. What topics should I focus on in high school to prepare for physics and chemistry in college?

In high school, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, especially algebra and calculus, as well as a basic understanding of chemistry concepts such as atomic structure and bonding. It is also helpful to take advanced placement (AP) or honors courses in physics and chemistry, as well as participate in science fairs or clubs to gain hands-on experience.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge in physics and chemistry before starting college?

While it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of physics and chemistry before starting college, it can be beneficial to have some prior knowledge. This will make it easier to understand and grasp more complex concepts in college courses. However, most introductory courses assume no prior knowledge and will cover the basics from the beginning.

3. What resources can I use to prepare for physics and chemistry before university?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for physics and chemistry before university. You can use textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Additionally, you can attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics and chemistry?

Problem-solving skills are crucial in physics and chemistry. To improve your skills, practice solving a variety of problems from different sources. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more difficult ones. It is also helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from your instructor.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in both physics and chemistry before choosing a major in college?

Not necessarily. Many majors in college, such as engineering or biology, require a combination of both physics and chemistry courses. However, some majors may only require one or the other. It is important to research the specific requirements for your intended major before deciding which courses to focus on in high school.