Please show me a solution to the differential equation

In summary, the given equation is a second-order differential equation with a constant A and a variable x. The solution is not a Bessel function, but rather a constant with an exponential term. There are resources available online and in a book for a more general form of this equation.
edgepflow
Can someone solve:

y''(x) - A x^2 y = 0

A = constant

It is probably easy, but I took this class 23 years ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
This one's not so easy as far as I can tell. Fortunately others have figured it out already: http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode0202.pdf

Here's a great website when you have an ODE that you think someone might have solved before: http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode.htm

I referred to the book the authors of that website have written. They have some different things written about a more general form of this equation. This book might be worth tracking down if the link above doesn't help.

Last edited:
Thanks btrettel! I had a feeling that equation had an attitude.

Now I will grind out some Bessel functions.

Its solution is not Bessel Function. Its a Harmonic Oscillator.
its solution must be some constant with exp(x^2).
the differential equation for Bessel function is
x^2Y''+xY'+(x^2-n^2)y=0
which is of course not ur differential equation.

The solution to this differential equation is given by y(x) = C1 * exp(A/4 * x^4) + C2 * exp(-A/4 * x^4), where C1 and C2 are arbitrary constants. This solution can be verified by plugging it into the differential equation and simplifying. If you need further assistance, I suggest consulting a mathematics textbook or seeking help from a math tutor. It is understandable that you may have forgotten some of the concepts from your class 23 years ago, but with some practice and review, I am confident that you can understand and solve this equation.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various techniques for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. The solution may also involve finding a particular solution and a general solution to account for all possible solutions.

3. Can all differential equations be solved?

No, not all differential equations have analytical solutions. Some equations may require numerical methods or approximations to find a solution. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a solution at all.

4. What is the importance of finding a solution to a differential equation?

Finding a solution to a differential equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system or process. It also helps us to make informed decisions and develop effective strategies in various fields of science and engineering.

5. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations?

Yes, differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in fields like economics, medicine, and ecology.