Differential equation with two terms

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with a specific form and how to handle the case when the function involved is not a constant. It is mentioned that writing the equation in a more abstract form may be helpful in finding a solution.
kent davidge
I'm trying to solve a differential equation of the form $$\frac{A'(x)}{A(x)}f(x,y) = \frac{B'(y)}{B(y)}$$ where prime denotes differentiation. I know that for the case ##f(x,y) = \text{constant}## we just equal each side to a same constant. Can I do that also for the case where ##f(x,y)## is not constant? (I know ##f(x,y)## explicitely, if that helps.)

Edit: I'm trying to find both ##A(x)## and ##B(y)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, never mind. It's just a matter of breaking up ##f(x,y)## into parts. Sometimes writing down an equation in a more abstract form like I did here helps in getting the cake. :)

Likes jedishrfu and fresh_42

1. What is a differential equation with two terms?

A differential equation with two terms is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It consists of two distinct terms, one representing the dependent variable and the other representing the independent variable.

2. How do you solve a differential equation with two terms?

To solve a differential equation with two terms, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

3. What is the purpose of using a differential equation with two terms?

Differential equations with two terms are used to model real-world phenomena and predict how a system will behave over time. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to describe relationships between variables and their rates of change.

4. Can a differential equation with two terms have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation with two terms can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often multiple functions that can satisfy the equation. However, the specific solution that is most relevant to a given problem must be determined based on initial conditions or boundary conditions.

5. Are there any practical applications of differential equations with two terms?

Yes, differential equations with two terms have numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze various systems, including population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.