Calculating Current in RC Circuit with Closed Switch

In summary, the question is asking for the current through R2 immediately after the switch is closed. The given values are C = 7.95x10^(-6) F, R1 = 27.5 Ohm, R2 = 10.5 Ohm, and Vo = 20.0 V. The equation to use is not specified, but the conversation suggests using two loops and a junction. However, since the capacitor is initially uncharged, the voltage across it is zero, making the current through R2 also zero immediately after the switch is closed.
arl146

Homework Statement

What is the current through R2 immediately after the switch S is closed?
C = 7.95x10^(-6) F , R1 = 27.5 Ohm , R2 = 10.5 Ohm , and Vo = 20.0 V

Homework Equations

I don't know what to use?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe I use two loops, the left and right and then a junction? I don't know if I have to do a matrix or what for this. Maybe I'm missing something simple here?

Attachments

• prob05av1.gif
    prob05av1.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help !

Something simple. What's the voltage across the initially uncharged capacitor immediately after the switch is closed?

gneill said:
Something simple. What's the voltage across the initially uncharged capacitor immediately after the switch is closed?

Well they say C= 7.95 x 10^(-6) F what is that number for? I don't know.. :(
if it is uncharged is it just zero ?

Oh, okay, I got it. It's just zero then. Thanks :D

1. How does an RC circuit charge?

In an RC circuit, the capacitor charges when a voltage is applied across the circuit. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases and the current decreases until it reaches a steady state.

2. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit, represented by the symbol τ (tau). It is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to approximately 63% of its maximum charge.

3. How long does it take for an RC circuit to charge?

The time it takes for an RC circuit to charge depends on the time constant (τ) as well as the initial voltage across the capacitor and the final voltage it is charging to. It can be calculated using the formula t = τ * ln(Vf/Vi), where t is the time in seconds, τ is the time constant, Vf is the final voltage, and Vi is the initial voltage.

4. What happens to the current as an RC circuit charges?

As an RC circuit charges, the current decreases exponentially. This is because the capacitor acts as an open circuit at first, and as it charges, it becomes more like a short circuit, allowing less current to flow through the circuit.

5. What is the purpose of an RC circuit in electronics?

RC circuits are commonly used in electronics for timing and filtering purposes. They can also be used as voltage dividers and in oscillators. Additionally, RC circuits are used in power supplies to filter out AC signals and provide a stable DC output.