Calculating Net Force from Acceleration and Distance: A Problem Solving Approach

In summary, the tennis ball has an initial velocity of 40.5 m/s and an impact with the racket gives it an acceleration of 3519.8 m/s. The net force acting on the ball is 187.9599 N.
pookisantoki
When a 53.4g tennis ball is served, it accelerates from rest to a speed of 40.5m/s. The impact with the racket gives the ball a constant acceleration over a distancce of 46.6cm. What is the mgnitude of the net force acting on the ball?

I converted the 53.5g into kg=.0535kg
I converted 46.6cm into m=.466
So we have the distance, mass, force but not the net force.
I figured out the time by
40.5=.466/x
x=.01150secs
and figured out the acceleration byt 40.5/.0111506=3519.8
and then net force=acceleration * mass
f=.0534kg*3519.8=187.9599
But it's wrong, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good idea to do those conversions right away.
I figured out the time by 40.5=.466/x
Looks like you used v = d/t to do this. But this is the d = vt that applies only to motion at constant speed. For this accelerated motion you could use d = Vi*t + .5*a*t^2.

The rest looks okay, but I recommend you clearly show what formula you are using to make your work easily readable by yourself and the rest of us (including the overworked and underpaid grad student who marks your tests).

Sorry!
So i did what you suggested and from where I found the time I plugged all the numbers into the formula you gave me: x=vt+.5at^2

.466=40.5*(.011506)+1/2a(.011506)^2
.466=.46599+1/2a(.000132388)
.932=.46599+a(.000132388)
7031.911=46599+a
a=7039.445

Then I plugged the "a" into the sum of forces=a*mass

7039.445*.0534= 375.906N but its coming up wrong...I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Thank you

x=vt+.5at^2
.466=40.5*(.011506)+1/2a(.011506)^2

Your time is still wrong because you still used d = vt to find it.
Your initial velocity should be zero, not 40.5.

You know d, Vi and Vf. Do you have a formula for finding anything when you know only these quantities? An accelerated motion formula with no t in it would be perfect. Once you get the acceleration, you'll be able to find the force easily.

If you don't have such a formula (it is a more advanced one), you could use the very basic idea that the area under a velocity vs time graph is the distance. Sketch the V vs t graph for this situation and write in that its area is 0.466 m. The area is just a triangle, and you know the formula for area of a triangle, so you can make up a little formula with the width (time) being the only unknown and use it to find the time to accelerate the tennis ball.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the more force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the less its acceleration will be.

What is the formula for Newton's second law of motion?

The formula for Newton's second law of motion is F = ma, where F is the net force applied to the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration.

How does Newton's second law of motion relate to everyday life?

Newton's second law of motion can be observed in everyday life, such as when a car accelerates or decelerates, or when a person throws a ball. The force applied to the object (the car or the ball) results in a change in its velocity (speed and/or direction).

What are some examples of Newton's second law of motion?

Some examples of Newton's second law of motion include pushing a shopping cart, kicking a soccer ball, and rowing a boat. In all of these situations, the object's acceleration is determined by the net force applied and its mass.

How does Newton's second law of motion differ from the first and third laws?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In contrast, Newton's second law of motion focuses on the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.