Why don't atoms self-destruct?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of gravitational charge and how it is defined. Some questions were raised about why gravitational charge is not a property of the gravitational field and how it relates to the standard model. The discussion also touched on the stability of atoms and the role of gravity in this. The conversation ended with a suggestion to read the General Physics FAQ for more information on why atoms do not self-destruct.
QuantumClue
I have heard that quantized gravitational charge is given by [tex]\mu_q= \sqrt{GM}[/tex]. Sean Carrol seems to define gravitational charge of a moving particle as [tex]Fg= \nabla \phi Mg[/tex].

How is gravitational charge defined? Why is the gravitational charge not a property of the gravitational field like an electron's electromagnetic charge is a property of a system moving in an electromagnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that this topic belongs to the "Beyond the SM" forum.
Please post threads in right forums(as it creates confusion if not done so).

Only I don't think Sean Carrols general relativity notes quite cuts beyond the standard model.

Hmm.. not sure if this is the correct place to post this, and please accept humble apologies if it is construed as an attempted 'hijack'.. the title of this thread seemed relevant though.

(Knowledgeable ones, please try to resist explanations with hieroglyphics)

To my limited understanding, opposite charges attract and gravitational force is universally attractive, which makes me wonder why atoms don't self destruct. i have heard/read that Neutrons act as a 'bonding agent', allowing Protons to remain in a close group, but what force prevents the positive/negative attraction, combined with gravitational attraction, from allowing what would seem to be a state of equilibrium?

..after rereading my post, i think i may have just requested a concise explanation of GUT.. without mathematics. But please feel free to chip away at my lack of understanding. There may even be an active mind at the center..:rolleyes:

so.. was the question too stupid or too hard?..(yeah, .. i went there..:biggrin:)

sherlock ohms said:
Hmm.. not sure if this is the correct place to post this, and please accept humble apologies if it is construed as an attempted 'hijack'.. the title of this thread seemed relevant though.

(Knowledgeable ones, please try to resist explanations with hieroglyphics)

To my limited understanding, opposite charges attract and gravitational force is universally attractive, which makes me wonder why atoms don't self destruct. i have heard/read that Neutrons act as a 'bonding agent', allowing Protons to remain in a close group, but what force prevents the positive/negative attraction, combined with gravitational attraction, from allowing what would seem to be a state of equilibrium?

..after rereading my post, i think i may have just requested a concise explanation of GUT.. without mathematics. But please feel free to chip away at my lack of understanding. There may even be an active mind at the center..:rolleyes:

Your question is odder than mine, which is probably why niether of us have been addressed properly.

To answer your question, based on my knowledge of quantum mechanics, gravitational attraction has an upper bound where things can collapse to the standards you are desiring, and these exotic objects are called black holes. Even an electron could be a black hole!

You must remember, that gravity is so weak. To imagine this, place a pin on the floor, and get a very small magnet. If that magnet attracts the pin over the gravitational pull of the entire Earth (as it should, or something strange is happening) then this gives you an idea how weak the gravitational force is. Sometimes we don't understand the gravity (yes a pun) of the situation. Saying something is [tex]10^{40}[/tex] times less than the EM force doesn't quite cut it.

So atoms resist collapses because gravity is so weak, rather than looking at it as being so strong, then questioning how atoms are stable. They are only stable because it is so weak!

sherlock ohms said:
please accept humble apologies if it is construed as an attempted 'hijack'

It really would have been better if you had started your own thread, but it's not a big enough deal to make me want to split your posts off into a new one, if Quantum Clue doesn't mind.

why atoms don't self destruct

This question comes up often enough that we have an entry for it in the General Physics FAQ, which you might like to examine:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715

Note this is not intended as an attempt to stifle discussion, but rather to give a starting answer so people don't have to repeat it over and over again. If it's not sufficient for your purposes, please feel free to ask for clarifications or further information.

1. What is gravitational charge?

Gravitational charge is a theoretical concept that describes the gravitational force between two objects. It is similar to electrical charge, but instead of attracting or repelling based on the charge type, objects with gravitational charge are attracted to each other based on their mass and distance.

2. How is gravitational charge different from electrical charge?

Electrical charge is a property of matter that can be positive or negative, while gravitational charge is a property of mass that is always positive. In addition, electrical charges can repel or attract each other, while objects with gravitational charge are always attracted to each other.

3. Is there any evidence for gravitational charge?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for gravitational charge. It is a theoretical concept that has not been proven or observed. However, many scientists believe that it could exist based on its mathematical and physical properties.

4. How does gravitational charge affect the universe?

Gravitational charge is believed to play a major role in the formation and evolution of the universe. It is responsible for the force of gravity, which holds galaxies, stars, and planets together. Without gravitational charge, the universe as we know it would not exist.

5. Can gravitational charge be manipulated or controlled?

Since gravitational charge is a theoretical concept, it cannot be manipulated or controlled in the same way that electrical charge can. However, scientists are constantly studying and researching ways to better understand and potentially manipulate the force of gravity, which is closely related to gravitational charge.