Request: Textbook in quantum mechanics

In summary, learning quantum mechanics can be a difficult task, but with the help of a good textbook and some video lectures, it should not be too difficult.
Pharoa
Hello everyone, I'm a beginner in quantum mechanics and I've been curious to know the textbook of that problem

310070378.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a good plan, is starting with Feynman's Lectures on Physics, the third volume which is the one about QM. Then you can read Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. In case Shankar gets hard to understand, you can retreat to Gasiorowicz's Quantum Physics or Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. Then, in case you want to be really good at it, you can also study Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, but that's an option.

I should add that learning is not only about reading good books. You should try to do the thing yourself and when you have problem with something, go and read about it. In fact it should be a mixture of them. You read good books, then try to do it yourself and correct you mistakes by reading other books. So, from this point of view, I would suggest reading Shankar's with Gasiorowicz's and Griffiths' as backup, then in case you run into conceptual problems, you can read Feynman's and if you get into computational problems, you can read just any other book.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Shyan, that have been useful but I have a set of problems such that in my post and hope to find their textbook in order to make sure of my attempts to answer

Take a phrase from the text that you showed, that does not include any math symbols. Try to choose one that is not likely to appear in too many other similar problems. Put quotation marks at the beginning and end, to keep the words together, and do a Google search on the resulting string:

"normalization constant that needs to be found, an eigenfunction"

Do you find anything?

Yeah, it is from Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications by Nouredine Zettili. Thanks Mr. Jetbell

The Physics of Quantum Mechanics by James Binney, David Skinner is very good,and you can some of video lectures by the first author online.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles interact with each other and with energy.

2. Why is it important to study quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is essential to understanding many fundamental concepts in physics, such as the behavior of atoms, the structure of matter, and the nature of light. It also has practical applications in technologies such as semiconductors, lasers, and nuclear energy.

3. What topics are typically covered in a textbook on quantum mechanics?

A textbook on quantum mechanics will typically cover topics such as the principles of quantum mechanics, wave-particle duality, quantum states and operators, the Schrödinger equation, quantum measurements, and applications in various fields such as chemistry and solid state physics.

4. Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be a challenging subject to grasp, as it deals with concepts that are not always intuitive. However, with proper study and practice, it can be understood by anyone with a background in mathematics and physics.

5. What are some recommended textbooks for learning quantum mechanics?

Some popular textbooks on quantum mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. It is also recommended to consult with your instructor or peers for additional recommendations.