Grade 12 Math - Trigonometry Question.

In summary, the problem is to find the largest domain for the given equation, tanxsinx+sinx=0, with the range of 0≤x≤2∏. The solution involves factoring out sinx and using the zero product property to find the values of x where either sinx=0 or tanx=-1, giving the solutions of x=pi, 3pi/4, and 7pi/4. However, it is important to note that there may be more values of x where sinx=0 within the given domain.
lily.123

Homework Statement

tanxsinx+sinx=0
0≤x≤2∏

What is the largest domain given?

Problem.

I'm not sure what to do with this question. It's probably pretty simple, but I'm absolutely rubbish at math. Hopefully someone can help me with this? Thanks.
-Lily

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring out a sin from the left side, and use the zero product property to solve.

Well it's asking you in the domain 0 to 2pi when is that equation zero. So the first think I would do is pull a sin(x) out of the left hand and then you can split the equation up in two things, with the correct solutions being when either one is zero.

So, I'm assuming this?

tanxsinx+sinx=0
sinx(tanx + 1) = 0
sinx = 0
x = pi
tanx = -1
x = 3pi/4 , 7pi/4

lily.123 said:
So, I'm assuming this?

tanxsinx+sinx=0
sinx(tanx + 1) = 0
sinx = 0
x = pi
tanx = -1
x = 3pi/4 , 7pi/4

Yes, but for [itex]\sin(x)=0[/itex] there are more values of x where this is satisfied.

I'm not quite sure I follow?

Remember the domain is [itex]0\leq x \leq 2\pi[/itex]. So where is [itex]\sin(x)=0[/itex] in this domain? Surely more places than just at [itex]x=\pi[/itex]. Take x=0 for example.

Oh, I get it! Thanks everyone!

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties. It is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use trigonometric identities and laws, such as the Pythagorean identity and the law of sines or cosines. You also need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. They represent the ratios of the sides of a right triangle, where sine is opposite over hypotenuse, cosine is adjacent over hypotenuse, and tangent is opposite over adjacent.

4. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has many real-life applications, such as determining the height of buildings and mountains, calculating distances and angles in navigation, and analyzing the motion of objects in physics.

5. What are the key concepts in trigonometry?

The key concepts in trigonometry include the unit circle, trigonometric identities and laws, inverse trigonometric functions, and solving triangles using trigonometric ratios and the laws of sines and cosines.