General Mathematics Grade 9 -- Find the length of a diagonal of the cuboid

In summary, the conversation is about finding the length of a diagonal of a solid cuboid with a volume of 40cm3 and a total surface area of 100cm^3. The cuboid has one edge with a length of 2cm and the question asks for the length of the diagonal to be given correct to 3 significant figures. The individual has attempted the question by writing down the formulas for volume and surface area and labelling the unknown length as x. They have attempted to solve the equations but are struggling to find a logical method and are unsure which solution to use for the width and height. Another individual points out that the incorrect assumption has been made that all sides are 2cm and offers guidance on how to approach
Physiona said:
Yes they are similar!
I presume I use one set of them into substituting it in the diagonal length formula.
Thank you so much, you have literally taught me this question in hours which my teacher can't even teach in 3 years!
I give you all my thanks, and thank you for guiding me till the very last.
You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to work the problem all the way through! What value did you get for d?

Likes Physiona
Physics news on Phys.org
tnich said:
You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to work the problem all the way through! What value did you get for d?
$$\sqrt{189}$$

Likes Physiona
Here's the answer! Its a tricky question
Assume length L width W and depth D. Let's assign the 2cm we know to the width, so W = 2 (it doesn't matter which dimension you choose)

Now substitute into the formulae for Volume and Area.

Volume = 40 = WLD = 2LD (using W=2)
LD = 20, Let's call this equation 1

Area = 100 = 2(WL + WD + DL) = 4L + 4D + 2DL (using W=2)
2L + 2D + DL = 50, Let's call this equation 2

Now, substitute for D = 20/L from equation 1, into equation 2

We get, 2L + 2*20/L + 20/L * L = 50 which is the same as, 2L + 40/L -30 = 0, or L +20/L -15 = 0

Multiply all terms by L to get a quadratic, L^2 -15L +20 = 0

Solving this quadratic gives L = 13.52, and L = 1.48. (The second value is actually the value for D since (remember equation 1) D=20/L D=20/13.52 = 1.48)

So we have W = 2, L = 13.52, D = 1.48 The last part is difficult to understand. The diagonal is the one that cuts through the cuboid, from (front top left) to (rear bottom right) if you like

By Pythagoras on two triangles we get that the diagonal D = SQRT(L^2 + W^2 + D^2)

So, D = SQRT ( 182.8 + 4 + 2.19) = 13.7 to 3 SF

PLEASE NOTE, THIS IS THE LAST AND PROBABLY THE MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION ON THE PAPER.
It is designed to sort out the Grade 9ers, and anyone aiming for a lower grade would probably find it extremely difficult!
Hope this answer helps

Mark Hughes said:
Here's the answer! Its a tricky question
Assume length L width W and depth D. Let's assign the 2cm we know to the width, so W = 2 (it doesn't matter which dimension you choose)

Now substitute into the formulae for Volume and Area.

Volume = 40 = WLD = 2LD (using W=2)
LD = 20, Let's call this equation 1

Area = 100 = 2(WL + WD + DL) = 4L + 4D + 2DL (using W=2)
2L + 2D + DL = 50, Let's call this equation 2

Now, substitute for D = 20/L from equation 1, into equation 2

We get, 2L + 2*20/L + 20/L * L = 50 which is the same as, 2L + 40/L -30 = 0, or L +20/L -15 = 0

Multiply all terms by L to get a quadratic, L^2 -15L +20 = 0

Solving this quadratic gives L = 13.52, and L = 1.48. (The second value is actually the value for D since (remember equation 1) D=20/L D=20/13.52 = 1.48)

So we have W = 2, L = 13.52, D = 1.48The last part is difficult to understand. The diagonal is the one that cuts through the cuboid, from (front top left) to (rear bottom right) if you like

By Pythagoras on two triangles we get that the diagonal D = SQRT(L^2 + W^2 + D^2)

So, D = SQRT ( 182.8 + 4 + 2.19) = 13.7 to 3 SF

PLEASE NOTE, THIS IS THE LAST AND PROBABLY THE MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION ON THE PAPER.
It is designed to sort out the Grade 9ers, and anyone aiming for a lower grade would probably find it extremely difficult!
Hope this answer helps
Was there something wrong with the answers the other responders gave? This seems much more involved.