Should i take differential geometry?

In summary: However, if you feel confident enough to jump straight into GR and pick up a math methods course later, that could also work. It ultimately depends on your goals and what you feel will benefit you the most in the long run. Taking the geometry course may also give you a better understanding of the math used in GR and make it easier for you, but it could also be time-consuming and not as useful in the future. Overall, it's important to weigh your options and consider what will be most beneficial for you in the end.
ia_
Should I take a semester-long differential geometry course (in lieu of a thermo/stat mech course, which while not terribly challenging would prepare me for qualifiers, etc), or should I just jump into GR and maybe pick up a mathematical methods in physics course later? I first learned partial dif eqs in an advanced e&m course, will differential geometry and general relativity be a similar deal, or do I really need a solid foundation in it before starting?

To be more clear: I'm a grad student, differential geometry and thermo/stat mech are both mixed undergrad/grad courses. Thermo/stat mech is probably similar in content to a mixed undergrad/grad course I took a few years ago as an undergrad. I'm sure taking it again as a grad student would improve my stat mech, but I'm also a little hesitant to go through it with undergrads forcing us to cover everything I've already done before. On the other hand, I'm somewhat worried that either 1. differential geometry could turn into a time consuming exercise in mathematics that won't really be used ever again or 2. I will end up kind of screwed by not taking it. I will sit in on differential geometry tomorrow and see what I think of it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend taking the differential geometry class. It was by far the best math class i took as part of my mathematics degree. The way it was tought made me really know linear algebra, topology as well as some analysis. As for jumping into GR it could be done, but the math is difficult and taking differential geometry would make it easier and give you a better understanding of where a lot of the math comes from.

dmoravec said:
i took as part of my mathematics degree.
I think the answer to the original question is whether you want to go on in the math or the physics of GR.

I'm not clear whether you're an undergrad or a grad student. I wouldn't take an elective math course in lieu of a core physics course like thermal physics, unless you mean you can pick it up another semester before graduating.

A GR course will introduce the necessary Riemannian geometry, but usually makes a beeline to the Riemann tensor, and doesn't have much time to develop geometric intuition. The usual undergraduate differential geometry course covers local and global theory of curves and surfaces in 3 dimensions, and maybe generalizes that to manifolds in n-dimensions if there's time. That will give you a lot of insight and intuition you might not get otherwise, but it's not absolutely necessary for doing well in GR. Maybe you can audit the course.

ia_ said:
Should I take a semester-long differential geometry course (in lieu of a thermo/stat mech course, which while not terribly challenging would prepare me for qualifiers, etc), or should I just jump into GR and maybe pick up a mathematical methods in physics course later? I first learned partial dif eqs in an advanced e&m course, will differential geometry and general relativity be a similar deal, or do I really need a solid foundation in it before starting?
i think that if the geometry course (in lieu) will prepare you for the qualifiers and that is what you need then i think you should take it.

1. Should I take differential geometry if I am not majoring in math?

Differential geometry is a mathematical subject that is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. While it is often taught within a math department, it can be beneficial for those in other fields to take this course. It can help develop critical thinking skills and provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts that are used in various applications.

2. Is differential geometry a difficult subject?

Like any math course, differential geometry can be challenging for some students. It involves abstract thinking and requires a solid foundation in calculus. However, with dedication and practice, it is a subject that can be mastered.

3. What are the practical applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has many real-world applications, including in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It is used to study the geometry of curved surfaces and spaces, and its concepts are applied in the design of structures, understanding the motion of objects, and creating computer-generated images.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take differential geometry?

A strong foundation in calculus is necessary to understand the concepts in differential geometry. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of linear algebra. However, with the guidance of a good instructor and dedication to learning, anyone can succeed in this course.

5. How can taking differential geometry benefit my career?

Differential geometry is a valuable subject for those pursuing careers in mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. It can also benefit those in other fields by developing critical thinking skills and providing a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, having a background in differential geometry can make a job candidate more competitive in various industries.