Laddermill- novel windmill design

In summary, the idea is promising, but there are some challenges to be overcome before it can be implemented.
aeroboyo
what do you all think of this idea? It's being developed by people at TU DELFT in holland...

http://www.lr.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=8d16d19a-e942-45aa-9b52-48deb9312e92&lang=en

promising?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks intriguing, but I can't load the movie to see how it works. The still pictures seem to show a system that doesn't actually do anything. How does the loop connect to the ground? I don't see any pulleys or anything.

The movie (all 11.7Mb of it) doesn't show much either, though I gather from reading the website that the "mill" is a long string of kite-like planes that will be controlled from the ground and made to climb and dive in unison. It appears that the tether will be wrapped around some kind of shaft with a resistive load attached, so that the "pumping" action of the kites can be translated into a rotation that can drive a generator or something similar. It could be a neat way to pump water in a remote location without hauling in motorized pumps, fuel, etc.

I can foresee some awesome work needed to synchronize all of the individual lift factors.

Danger said:
I can foresee some awesome work needed to synchronize all of the individual lift factors.
It may be something as simple as designing inflatable kites that lift when inflated to a certain pressure and dive when the pressure is reduced. Taking altitude-dependent external air pressure into account could easily be as simple as installing orifices at a number of locations along the string to gradually reduce the pressure delivered to the next-higher group of kites. The pressure (and lift coefficient) of inflatable kites could be computer-controlled, or perhaps even automatically controlled mechanically by valves that are actuated at the desired limit of retraction and extension of the tether. There are a lot of ways to skin that particular cat. Depending on the lift generated by each kite the upper tethers can be very thin and lightweight, while the lower segment of tether may have to be pretty beefy to have the appropriate tensile strength. If the tubing used to pressurize the kites can be incorporated into the tether, that would simplify things a bit more.

Okay... I'm pissed as a nit right now... leftover from the Legion Remembrance Day party. I still don't see how you would vary the thickness of the tether during its course.

Danger said:
Okay... I'm pissed as a nit right now... leftover from the Legion Remembrance Day party. I still don't see how you would vary the thickness of the tether during its course.
Not actively, a simple taper.

Okay... I must have missed something in the original explanation. I was under the impression that the 'tether' is solidly attached to the airfoils and revolves around the system with them.

The kites do not revolve or loop or anything like that. They are intended to climb and dive alternately in unison, pulling out a length of tether, then diving so it can retract. This pumping action is translated into a rotational motion at the base because the tether is wrapped around a drum of some sort, which will spin counterclockwise then clockwise alternately as the tether is pulled out and retracted.

Thanks, Turbo. That clears it up. I thought that it was set up something like an aerial gondola, with the kites dropping down one side and climbing up the other in a constant motion. Makes sense now.

1. What is a Laddermill and how does it work?

A Laddermill is a new type of windmill design that operates on the principle of a ladder turning in a vertical position. The blades of the windmill are attached to the rungs of the ladder and as the wind blows, the ladder rotates, generating electricity. This design allows for more efficient use of wind energy compared to traditional horizontal axis windmills.

2. How is a Laddermill different from traditional windmills?

Unlike traditional windmills that have a horizontal axis and rely on the wind to turn the blades, a Laddermill has a vertical axis and uses the force of the wind to rotate a ladder-like structure. This design allows for a smaller footprint and higher energy output, making it more cost-effective and efficient.

3. What are the advantages of using a Laddermill?

One of the main advantages of using a Laddermill is its ability to produce more energy in lower wind conditions. This is due to the vertical axis design that allows the windmill to capture wind from all directions. Additionally, the compact design of the Laddermill makes it ideal for urban areas where space is limited.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a Laddermill?

One potential drawback of the Laddermill design is the complexity of its structure. The ladder-like design may require more maintenance and specialized equipment for installation and repairs. Additionally, the cost of the initial investment may be higher compared to traditional windmills.

5. Is the Laddermill design environmentally friendly?

Yes, the Laddermill design is considered environmentally friendly as it uses renewable energy from the wind to generate electricity. It does not produce any harmful emissions or pollutants, making it a clean and sustainable energy source. Additionally, the compact design reduces the impact on the surrounding environment.