Centripetal accel - airplane flying in a horizontal circle

In summary: You can find the required coefficient of friction.In summary, an airplane with a speed of 116 m/s and a pilot weighing 77.0 kg is flying in a horizontal circle. The pilot wants to keep his centripetal acceleration below 6.00 times the free-fall acceleration. Using the formula for centripetal acceleration, the minimum radius of the circular path is found to be 2,242.7 meters. For part B, the angle of tilt can be found using tan(theta) = v^2/Rg, which is 80.5 degrees. The normal component of the pilot's weight and the centrip
lettertwelve
centripetal accel -- airplane flying in a horizontal circle...

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 116 m/s. The 77.0 kg pilot does not want his centripetal acceleration to exceed 6.00 times free-fall acceleration.

(a) What is the minimum radius of the circular path? (in meters)

(b) At this radius, what is the net force that maintains circular motion exerted on the pilot by the seat belts, the friction between him and the seat, and so forth?

Homework Equations

i'm more concentrated on part A.
this is what i have so far:

F=ma=m(v^2/R)=mG

v=116m/s
G=6

so then v^2/R=6, 116^2/R=6

so then
R=2242.7

it says my answer is incorrect.
i don't see my mistake though.

and for part B, would it be 0?

PART A: SOLVED. but i still need help with part B.
Fnet=ma, but i don't think that one works in this case...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so then v^2/R=6, 116^2/R=6
but wait, the problem states "6.00 times free-fall acceleration", which means an acceleration of 6g or 6 * 9.81 m/s2, not simply 6.

Astronuc said:
but wait, the problem states "6.00 times free-fall acceleration", which means an acceleration of 6g or 6 * 9.81 m/s2, not simply 6.

ahh yes! WOW i must be blind. thanks!

now for part B...

Does it not seem a tad unlikely that a pilot doing a turn of 2.247 km radius (thats more than 1.2 miles!) would be pulling a body-bending 6g ?
Is the 9.81m/s/s value of g included in the given information you have to solve this?
(OK - I see he got there, but some answers do make for great mental pictures of extreme stuff :smile: )

Last edited:
GTrax said:
Does it not seem a tad unlikely that a pilot doing a turn of 2.247 km radius (thats more than 1.2 miles!) would be pulling a body-bending 6g ?
Is the 9.81m/s/s value of g included in the given information you have to solve this?
(OK - I see he got there, but some answers do make for great mental pictures of extreme stuff :smile: )

for g, instead of 9.8 we can just use 10.

but anyways i do see what you mean :)

anyone?? :'[

Pilot cannot fly in the horizontal circle unless he tilts the plane toward the center. The angle of tilt can be found by tan(theta) = v^2/Rg. Then you can find the rest of the values.

Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
Pilot cannot fly in the horizontal circle unless he tilts the plane toward the center. The angle of tilt can be found by tan(theta) = v^2/Rg. Then you can find the rest of the values.

he didnt give us any angles

In part a you have found the velocity by using 6g = v^2/R.
The angle of tilt can be found by tan(theta) = v^2/Rg.
Hence v^2/R = g*tan(theta). Substitute in the first equation, we get 6g = g*tan(theta)
or tan(theta) =6 or theta = tan^-1(6) = 80.5 degree.
When the pilot is flying with this tilt, the normal component of his weight(R) = mgcos(theta) = 77*10*cos(80.5) N. Centripetal force (F)= 6g = 60N. mu = F/R

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular path. It is caused by a centripetal force, which is required for an object to maintain a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to airplane flying in a horizontal circle?

When an airplane is flying in a horizontal circle, it is constantly changing its direction, which means it is accelerating. Centripetal acceleration is responsible for this change in direction and is necessary for the airplane to maintain its circular path.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration in an airplane?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration in an airplane depends on the speed of the airplane, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the airplane. A higher speed or smaller radius will result in a larger centripetal acceleration, while a heavier airplane will require more centripetal force.

4. How can pilots control centripetal acceleration during a turn?

Pilots can control centripetal acceleration during a turn by adjusting the speed and bank angle of the airplane. Increasing the speed or bank angle will increase the centripetal acceleration, while decreasing them will decrease the centripetal acceleration.

5. What are the potential dangers of centripetal acceleration in airplane flying?

If the centripetal force is not enough to maintain the circular path of the airplane, it can result in a loss of control and potentially lead to a crash. Additionally, excessive centripetal acceleration can put strain on the airplane's structure and cause damage. Pilots must carefully monitor and control centripetal acceleration to ensure safe flying.