Are Vectors in the Column Space and Nullspace of Matrix A Linearly Independent?

In summary: T:U-->V, there is no relationship between Tv and T(U).In summary, the rank nullity theorem states that vectors in the column space of A and the vectors in the nullspace of A are linearly independent. However, this relation does not hold for any other map T:U-->V.
td21
Gold Member
I know the rank nullity theorem.
But can i say that the vectors in the column space of A and the vectors in the nullspace of A are linearly independent?
Thanks and this is not a hw.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the nilpotent matrix may say its not true, any thought?

no, you don't know that vectors Tv will belong in your nullspace or not (in general , but you might have an invariant transformation, or a projection). You know that v is linearly independent from your nullspace vectors if Tv is not zero

Well, I don't know if this is what you refer to, but the relation between A

and A^T seen as maps is that the nullspace of A^T is the orthogonal complement

of Im(A) (the image set of A, or, if A represents a map L:V-->W: {Ax: x in V} )

and the image of A^T is the orthogonal complement of N(A), the nullspace of A.

Bacle said:
Well, I don't know if this is what you refer to, but the relation between A

and A^T seen as maps is that the nullspace of A^T is the orthogonal complement

of Im(A) (the image set of A, or, if A represents a map L:V-->W: {Ax: x in V} )

and the image of A^T is the orthogonal complement of N(A), the nullspace of A.

Well what i mean is that are the vectors in R(A) and N(A) linearly independent.

for a linear transformation T:U-->V, Im(T) = T(U) and ker(T) = null(T) are subspaces of two different vector spaces. T(U) is a subspace of V, ker(T) is a subspace of U. so it doesn't even make sense to say that the vectors of T(U) and ker(T) are "independent", they aren't even in the same vector space.

Even if T:V-->V, you can have Tv be in ker(T), for example if v is in the null space of T^2 (in fact with nilpotent matrices of order 2, this is exactly what happens).

Last edited:
yea, I misread row space and column space, not nullspace. But then , like Deveno said,
your question would only make sense for a map T:V-->V.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve various mathematical problems.

Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for representing and solving a wide range of mathematical problems. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, and vector spaces. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems involving lines, planes, and higher-dimensional spaces.

What are some applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many applications in different fields. Some examples include image processing, data compression, cryptography, machine learning, and control systems. It is also used in computer graphics, where it is used to model and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space.

What are some common operations in linear algebra?

Some common operations in linear algebra include addition and subtraction of vectors, scalar multiplication, matrix multiplication, and finding the inverse of a matrix. These operations are used to solve systems of equations, calculate transformations, and perform other mathematical operations.