If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a hand crank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm. It is mentioned that an 18V hobby motor from RadioShack may not be able to handle this speed and that a gear ratio of 1:200 may be needed. Other suggestions, such as using a compressed air nozzle on an old hard drive, are also mentioned.
jhendren
If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor...

I want to create a handcrank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm. The DC motor is an 18V hobby motor from radioshack. Is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the required torque and size of the shaft?

An 18V DC motor from RadioShack can not handle 24,000 RPM. And you couldn't possible crank it that fast without ridiculous gear ratios.

Are you talking about a hand-cranked generator to power the motor?

jhendren said:
I want to create a handcrank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm. The DC motor is an 18V hobby motor from radioshack. Is this possible?

I think that is going to be very difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult depending on your available resources...Do you have a specific application in mind, or is it pure curiosity?

a 1:200 gear ration should get you close, assuming you can turn a crank at 2 HZ.
2 turns per second X 200 gear ration = 400 cycles/second X 60 = 24000 cycles per min.
There might be many better and easier ways to do this. A compresses air nozzle on an old hard drive, should get over 400 HZ. (put the thing is some sort of safety cage, as it may come apart.) The hard drive has a built in 12 volt motor.

FAQ: If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor

1. How do I determine the size and type of hand crank needed for the DC motor?

The size and type of hand crank needed for a DC motor will depend on the specific motor's power requirements and the desired speed and torque. It is important to consult the motor's specifications and consider the intended use of the crank before selecting the appropriate size and type.

2. Can I use any type of DC motor with a hand crank?

No, not all DC motors are suitable for use with a hand crank. The motor must have a shaft that is compatible with the crank's attachment mechanism, and its power output must be appropriate for the intended use of the crank.

3. What materials are commonly used to make hand cranks for DC motors?

Hand cranks for DC motors can be made from a variety of materials, including metal, plastic, and wood. The choice of material will depend on factors such as cost, durability, and aesthetic preferences.

4. How do I attach the hand crank to the DC motor?

The method of attachment will depend on the specific crank and motor being used. Some cranks may have a built-in attachment mechanism, while others may require a separate adapter or coupling. It is important to ensure that the attachment is secure and allows for smooth rotation of the crank.

5. Can I use a hand crank to power the DC motor continuously?

This will depend on the power requirements of the motor and the strength and endurance of the person using the hand crank. In most cases, a hand crank may not be able to provide enough power for continuous use of a DC motor. It is important to consider alternative power sources or a motor with a lower power requirement for long-term use.